Advanced Learning Loans
If you are over 19 years of age, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you cover fees for a Further Education course starting from September 2016 onwards. These loans are similar to the ones awarded to university students. Loan applications are processed by the Student Loans Company, but to start the process you first apply to your college of choice as normal.
You are eligible to apply for a loan to study at level 3 (equivalent to A levels) through to level 6. Loan applications are not means tested. You'll need to submit proof of identity and your National Insurance number when you apply.
- you pay back your loan (plus interest) when you’ve finished your course and start earning more than £21,000 a year
- if your income drops below £21,000 - loan repayments stop
- each month you pay back 9% of any income over £21,000. For example, if you earn £25,000 a year your monthly repayments would be £30
- if you go on to complete a degree course after the Access to HE Diploma, the Access loan is written off
- Eligible courses at Alton College include AAT Accounting levels 3 and 4, Early Years Level 3 Diplomas, Supporting Teaching and Learning level 3, Diplomas in Health and Social Care and Access to Higher Education. For course directory click here
- For further details, please visit:
National Careers Service
Money Advice Service
GOV.UK advanced learning loans
- What's related: