At Alton College British values are of paramount importance to us. We see British values as underpinning what it is to be a citizen in a modern and diverse Great Britain.
As well as actively promoting these values to our students, we are also embedding these into student work across all curriculum areas.
The five key British values are democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs. These serve as a foundation to our College Charter where we promote equality and diversity throughout our community, and meet our duty to the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015.
We aim to:
- Help students to become valuable and rounded members of society who treat others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background
- Promote the basic British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different beliefs and faiths to students
- Ensure young people understand the importance of respect and leave college fully prepared for life in modern Britain
- Encourage an understanding of the difficulties other cultures face where such values are not respected
- Embed different materials about democracy and how the law works into different college curriculum areas
- Ensure that all our students have a voice that is listened to and valued and demonstrate how democracy works through promoting our Student Union and encouraging students to feedback to the College through Student Surveys and the student representatives
- Use opportunities such as general elections and debates to promote British values and help students to argue and defend different points of view
- Develop and encourage extra-curricular activities amongst students which promote fundamental British values
- Actively consult with our student representatives to gather student views and feedback on key college policies that affect the student body
- Encourage student participation in working with the wider community and commemorating key events such as Holocaust Memorial Day and Armistice Day to gain an understanding of how British values have evolved
- Encourage students to become responsible learners and to actively participate in their own learning and development
Photograph from a selection of Alton College Photography department’s ‘Best of British’ Project summer 2015, to see more visit facebook.com/altoncollegephotography