AC Foundation presents scholarships
The 11th annual Alton College Foundation Scholarships Awards Ceremony took place in the Berkoff Performing Arts Centre last week to an auditorium filled with students, parents, sponsors, staff, Governors and Foundation Directors. During the reception Chris Butler and the Inside Indigo band entertained the guests.
Trevor Heley, Managing Director of the Foundation, said that since 1999 the Foundation had raised over £300,000, awarded 192 scholarships and provided grants and donations to the students and the College. He thanked the people and organisations who had made this possible, in particular the generous sponsors who continue to fund the scheme, College staff who had been incredibly supportive, his fellow Foundation Directors, and parents, families and friends who encouraged and supported Scholars.
Sam Clifford, a second year Scholar in Medicine, described his experience in visiting a hospital in the USA and being present in an operating theatre for a liver transplant. This amazing opportunity was funded from the money received as part of his Scholarship.
David Lynch, the Head of Maths at the College, gave a very amusing presentation about the series of mathematics competitions a group of our students had entered, culminating in an international event in Italy. Having won the regional and national events in the UK the team came a very credible 5th in the event in Italy, the highest placed non-Italian team. David thanked the Alton College Foundation for their support for travelling costs and said without that funding the trip to Italy would not have taken place.
The following awards were then presented:
• The Alton Chamber of Commerce and Industry Scholarship for Business was presented to Kate Jobson by Andy Goodall, President of the Chamber
• The Alton Decorative and Fine Arts Society Scholarships for Art were presented to Argiel Del Mundo, Chloe Goode and Sophie Bellchambers by Niven Baird, Vice Chairman of the Society.
• The Alton Lions Scholarship was presented to Julia Moulton by Nicholas Branch, representing the Alton Lions.
• The Chairman’s Scholarship for Business was presented to Christopher Veal by Nicholas Branch, Chairman of the Alton College Foundation.
• The Dischma Trust Scholarships were presented to Natalie Jones (English), Christopher Butler (Music) and Anna Oakes-Monger (Art) by Lady Robertson.
• The Craven Brothers Scholarships for Engineering were presented to Alex Pipe and Clara Skuse by Jamie Campbell of the Ellis Campbell Foundation.
• The Richard Frankel Memorial Scholarship for Medicine was presented to Sarah Cameron by Merula Frankel
• The Peter Gaffney Scholarships for History was presented to Hannah Bristow by Trevor Heley on behalf of Mr. Gaffney
• The Gaffney Cline Associates Scholarships for Science were presented to Erin Douglas and George Smetana by Sue Ford of Gaffney Cline Associates
• The Rotary Club of Alton Scholarship for Mathematics was presented to Edward Kirkby by Rosemary Arrowsmith-Oliver, President of the Rotary Club of Alton
• The Alistair Graham Scholarship for Modern Foreign Languages was presented to Benjamin Gregory by Sir James Scott.
The evening was bought to a close by Jane Machell, our Principal, who thanked the Foundation and the Sponsors on behalf of the College. She also thanked her staff for their support in the selection process, and congratulated the students and their families for their success.
- What's related: