The 14th Scholarships for Excellence Awards took place in the Wessex Arts Centre at Alton College on 11th February.
Trevor Heley, Managing Director of the Foundation, opened the Ceremony by welcoming students, parents, sponsors, College staff, Governors and the Foundation Directors who were in the audience to celebrate the achievement of the successful scholars.
He congratulated the new scholars who between them bring the total number of Alton College students awarded scholarships, since the scheme began in 2002, to 252. Mr Heley thanked past and present sponsors and donors for their generosity in not only providing scholarships but also grants to students and donations to the College. He also thanked College staff for their valuable support for the scheme and paid tribute to the incredibly high calibre of applications this year and the subsequent outstanding quality of the winning students.
The audience then heard from past Scholar Chris Dominey (2006) who explained what he had been doing since leaving the College and how the Scholarship and the College had given him the inspiration to succeed in life.
The following awards were then presented:
- The Alton Chamber of Commerce and Industry Scholarship for Excellence in Business was presented to Rachelle Evora by their President Andy Goodall
- The Alton College Foundation Alumni Scholarship for Geography was presented to Amie Jones by Nicholas Branch, Chairman of Alton College Foundation
- The Alton Decorative and Fine Arts Society (ADFAS) Scholarships were presented to Matt Page and Nathan Ward by Niven Baird, Chairman of the Society. Eliza Rose Smith was unable to receive her award on the night but was congratulated by the Sponsor.
- The Dischma Trust Scholarships for Excellence were presented by Sir Simon Robertson to Imogen Andrews and Sara Armstrong (Art), Annie Coloe (English), Samuel Thomas (Geography), Chris Hughes (Mathematics) and Megan Coates (Performing Arts). Joe Beard (Music) was unable to receive his award on the night but was congratulated by the sponsor.
- The Craven Brothers Scholarships for Excellence in Engineering were presented to Paul Cumner, Chris McLennan and Daniel Chung by Jamie Campbell of the Ellis Campbell Foundation
- The Richard Frankel Memorial Scholarship for Excellence in Medicine was awarded to Gabrielle Kelly, by Merula Frankel, the sponsor of the scholarship and also a Director of the Alton College Foundation
- The Excellence in Science Scholarship sponsored by Peter Gaffney was awarded to Tom Rodd (Biology). Tom was presented with his award by Trevor Heley, Managing Director of the Alton College Foundation
- The George Heller scholarship went to Amy Ewen who was unable to receive her award on the night but was congratulated by Trevor Heley.
- The Rotary Club of Alton Scholarship for Mathematics was presented to Steven Robertson by branch President Keith Arrowsmith-Oliver
- The Alistair Graham Scholarship for Excellence in Modern Languages was presented to Klara Angeles by Sir James Scott, sponsor of the scholarship.
The evening was brought to a close by Jane Machell, Principal of Alton College. She thanked the Foundation sponsors and donors on behalf of the College and also her staff for their support in the selection process. Ms Machell praised the outstanding quality of all the applicants and congratulated those receiving scholarships and their families for the support they had given them through their time at school and College.
- What's related: