College Notices: w/c 10th December 2013
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Reminder: Fri 24th Jan to Fri 31st Jan is the formal College Assessment Period
- Look out for the revision information which will be uploaded on to Moodle this week – under Student Resources
- Don’t leave revision to the last minute!
Young Carers Group
- This is for any student who has extra responsibilities at home to help care for a parent or brother or sister.
- Friday 13th December @ 1.15 - 2pm
- in the DLC (room 710 ground floor Austen building)
- We are keen to offer support to you as we know it can be very hard to juggle everything
- Hope you can make it, Lois Hutchinson
Charity Dodgeball Event
- Think you’ve got what it takes to dip, duck, dive and dodge then come down to the Sports Hall on Wednesday 18th December at 11.25am
- £1 to play / 50p to watch
- If interested please contact Christie Dailey – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All proceeds go to the Whizz Kids Charity
- Wednesday 18th December
- Michael Gray Building (Art building)
- Some of the Art Staff will be selling T-shirts, jumpers, Christmas tags, decorations, printed textiles and home-made objects.
- Come along and take a look and buy your Christmas gifts!
ACSU - Festive Firsday
- Thursday 19th December
- Wear Christmas jumpers/onesies/Christmas accessories
- SU selling sweet treats in the ref for charity at break and lunch!
The Alternative Magazine
- 'Issue #1 of The Alternative, Alton College's student-run magazine, is out now! You can look at a copy in the LRC and they're also being distributed randomly around college. Go to www.altonalternative.co.uk for more!'
End of Term
Friday 20th December
- Lessons finish at 12.30pm
- Buses leave at 1pm
- Start of Term:
- First day of teaching: Tuesday 7th Jan 2014 @ 8.50am
For Students on a 1 year course
- Start Thinking about Progression
- What do you want to do after your course?
- On the 9th January 2014 there will be a central presentation to explain your options and help you with your action plan
- 1pm in the Martin Read Hall
For First Years (first year of a 2 year course)
Sutton Trust – US Summer School Programme
- 1 week summer school in the US at America’s leading institutions – Harvard, MIT and Yale
- All costs covered including accommodation and travel.
- Eligibility - applicants must in Year 12 and not hold US citizenship and meet all or most of the following criteria: 8 or more As or A*s at GCSE * from low or middle income families * show commitment & interest in US culture and Education. Applications also welcome from students who are the first in family to go to university
- Further information available on Moodle under Student Resources / Higher Education / Summer Schools (http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=82909 )
- Full details of the application process can be found on the Sutton Trust website: http://www.suttontrust.com/students/us-programme.
Applications will close at 12pm on Wed 22nd January 2014
For Second Years
National Grid – Engineer Training Programme
- An ‘earn while you learn’ alternative to a degree at university
- Starting salary of £23,500 p.a. rising to £30,150
- Start date of September 2014
- Blend of formal study at University and further training combined with practical application and experience
- Don't wait for the deadline of 31st January 2014
- To find out more visit: http://www.nationalgridcareers.com/Development-Opportunities/Engineer-Training/The-Programmes/
Careers with IBM
- Planning on taking a Gap Year before university or undecided, IBM have many opportunities
- Find out about:
- Gap Year Opportunities
- Apprenticeship Scheme
- Leaflets available at the Hub or further information available at www.ibm.com/jobs/uk
- What's related: