College Notices: w/c 10th June 2013
by Kim Small.
The following College notices will be circulated to students on Thursday. Please note that the UCAS registration for PLD Core shows as (to be confirmed) - this is due to technical problems that UCAS are currently experiencing which has resulted in the delay of the launch of UCAS 2014 - hopefully this will be resolved shortly and we will be able to go ahead as planned.
- As you know, any form of Bullying will not be tolerated at Alton College
- Sadly, a recent incident has resulted in a student being suspended and given an advanced warning for homophobic cyber bullying.
- Please think carefully about what you say, write and do.
All change with your SU Exec roles:
- SU President Dren Magoncia will be swopping roles with Charlie Essex (Vice President) to take on more responsibility as the lead student on the Engineering block fundraising team.
- This means that Charlie Essex will be SU President from now until the elections next February.
- This term we will be working on the marketing events such as Open Evening in June, the Welcome Event for those coming to College in September and the Taster Day for Year 10s.
- We're currently making plans for September onwards - please send any suggestions for work or play to Charlie's email or the ACSU facebook page.
- Thursday 4th July – 11.25am to 3.00pm
- Timetabled lessons will be replaced by a programme for all including:
- Uni Presentations on Personal Statements, visits to the Fair, sessions on Finance & UCAS applications.
- There will be over 75 exhibitors * Uni’s * Gap Year organisations * Employers * Apprenticeships * Volunteering *
- If you are 100% certain don’t want to go to Uni we need to know as an alternative work based programme will be taking place – Tutor please email names to Kim Small by 21st June
- Bus Passes for September 2013 are now available to order on the online store.
- Payment 1 – 1st June to 30th June - £80
- Payment 2 – 1st July to 31st July - £80
- Payment 3 – 1st August to 31st August - £80
- One payment - 1st June to 31st August - £240
- If you do not pay by 31st August your pass will not be ready for the first day of term and you will have to pay on the bus.
- If you receive a bursary this year or think you might now be eligible, you must apply by collecting, completing and returning a 2013/14 application – available from the Student Hub from Friday 14th June.
- This year the bursary will cover 100% of the Simply Go Bus Pass annual cost and we will order for you.
- If you are a qualified Football referee and would like to earn some money next year.
- We are looking for people to referee the college home games on a Wednesday afternoon (1.30 -4.00)
- If you are interested please contact Dean Gillatt in the Sports Department - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Alton College Foundation Development Fund
- The Foundation offers grants of up to £500 to full-time students, aged 16-19, studying at Alton College.
- The Development Fund aims to encourage students in their academic and personal development by providing funds to be used for specific activities such as additional tuition, field trips or items of equipment associated with their studies. We can also assist with travel costs and general funding for work experience placements, or courses related to your studies.
- Grants can be applied for at any time by writing to the Foundation explaining what the grant is for and why the Foundation should consider the request. An application can be made either on an individual basis or for a group of students. Applications may be made via email (see address below).
- For more information on the scheme, please contact the Foundation Administrator, Emma Dear on email@example.com or see website: www.altoncollegefoundation.org.uk
For all students with lockers:
- ALL locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub by Friday 5th July for a £10 cash refund. Locker keys cannot be kept and used for the next academic year.
- You must clear your locker as they are emptied and cleaned over the holidays. No responsibility will be taken for any items left behind.
- Lockers for 2013-14 will be issued during September.
Southampton Solent University Summer School 2013
- Free 3 day, 2 night residential
- Wed 2nd July – Fri 5th July
- Get a preview of university life and make new friends along the way
- Try hands-on activities in your chosen subjects
- Sample student living with 2 nights in the University residences
- To find out more and apply – www.solent.ac.uk/summer-school email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loads of Volunteering Opportunities
- I’m Helen Freeston, Volunteer Coordinator at the college and I’m here to help you find the right volunteer opportunity.
- We have a huge variety of volunteering opportunities, times can fit in and around your studying or in the holidays – volunteering is great for experience, improves CV’s, make new friends and is rewarding and fun.
- Please come along to the Student Hub on a Tuesday 10.30am to 2pm or email me email@example.com for more information.
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
- w/c 10th June
- Personal Statements
- 17th & 24th June
- UCAS registration (to be confirmed)
- Prepare for Progression Fair
- Insight Action Plan
- Please note that all PLD Core lessons and catch up sessions normally in room 313 have moved to room 322 until the end of term due to Exams.
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception including the Pill, Patch, Injection, Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy testing, Chlamydia Screening and Condoms
- Also advice on Coil and Implant and any other issues
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504 – 505 in the Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
- What's related: