College Notices: w/c 10th March 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Parent Consultation Evenings
- Thursday 27th March & Tuesday 1st April
- The objective of these evenings is to allow an opportunity for parents to talk with teachers where there is some area of concern regarding their son or daughter’s progress, or some improvement is required in order for the student to meet their target grade(s) in the summer.
- Should you require an appointment at one of the Consultation Evenings, having checked your son/daughter’s progress on Insight, please follow the link on your son/daughter’s Insight page to our online booking system.
- The booking system opens on Wednesday 12th March
Disability Challengers Fundraising Event
- Izi and Fran will be shaving their heads
- on March 13th at 12.30pm
- in the Martin Read Hall
- Raising money for Disability Challengers
- 50p entry
- Donate here: www.justgiving.co.uk/headshavin
New Health Awareness enrichment group
- Perfect for any students interested in working in the health professions,
- We have a new enrichment group starting:
- Friday 14th March
- 12.45-1.30 in Room 70
- Help me plan the Health & Wellbeing Fair 25th/27th March.
- What do YOU think are the health issues that matter to students?
- Contact Jan Symes (Student Hub, orange door) for more info
Alton College Team Tennis 2014
- MEETING: Friday 14th March at 1pm in room 233 in the Sports Hall (this will be about 15-20 minutes long)
- It’s still not too late to contact me if you are interested in playing for the college (thanks to all that have contacted me – good response)
- Competition standard tennis players needed for men’s and women’s singles and doubles (incl. mixed doubles).
- Matches are on a Wednesday afternoon from 12.40-4.30pm.
- If you are interested in this opportunity and representing your college then please email Darren Della Maestra in the PE/Sport Dept for further information about upcoming trials and matches. email@example.com
Alton College Cricket Nets
- Thursday the 20th of March (4.30-6pm)
- Taking place in the College Sports Hall
- Players will be selected to represent the college
- Cricket final takes place at the Hampshire Ageas bowl.
- Anyone welcome if you would like to try out
- For further information contact Dean Gillatt in the Sports Department
Alton College Gym
- SPORT RELIEF ROW-A-THON 2014!
- On the 21st of March the college are looking for volunteers to help support our row-a-thon event to raise money for Sport Relief.
- We need as much support as possible so if you wish to participate in the event (or just want an excuse to burn off a few pounds!) then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!
- Together lets help raise money for vulnerable people around the world!
Sport Relief 2014
- Dodgeball tournament for charity
- Friday 21st March 12.40pm-2pm (entries close 14th March)
- £6 per team (6 players in a team)
- Open to all
- Sign up sheet on the Sports Hall notice board or contact Rupert in the gym or email Rupert.email@example.com
- Wednesday 12th March
- Leaflets available from the Hub
- Farnham Festival 2014
- Saturday 22nd March at the Farnham Maltings Cellar Bar
- There will be a workshop/rehearsal 5-6.30 and then concert 7.30-9.30 (bar will be open).
- Our former student Bruce Galliver will be coordinating this project and the evening will be led by our Gareth Henderson, who is not only a Music Technology lecturer but also a vocal coach, producer and popular music contests adjudicator. The idea is that singers-songwriters accompany themselves or involve 1-2 other musicians on acoustic/electroacoustic guitars or keyboard (no drumkit etc).
- We would encourage all those, who compose and sing your own songs, to consider taking part. Participation is free and tickets for the audience (for the 7.30 concert) cost £8 (£4 concessions).
- If you have any questions and to register interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please try to attend some of the concerts at the Farnham Festival which runs from 22-28 March at the Farnham Maltings, St Andrews Church. Alton College ensembles performs on Sun 23, Mon 24 and Tue 25 March.
- For further details see www.farnhamfestival.org.uk
For First Years
- Tutors will be handing out forms to all students who haven’t completed a UCAS application
- Please complete and hand back to your tutor today, in this PLD session
Leysin Ski Trip 2015
- The Alton College 2015 Ski trip is to Leysin in Switzerland in February Half Term 2015.
- Cost includes ski pass, Team Hoodie, instruction, equipment hire, full board accommodation for 6 nights, comprehensive insurance and evening entertainment costs.
- We will go snow tubing, to an Ice Hockey game, ice skating and to the infamous "Top Pub" in Leysin.
- The full cost of the trip is £880 per person. An initial deposit of £220 is required to secure a place, full payment due by December 2014.
- Book your deposit through the online store: http://store.altoncollege.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=1&deptid=169&catid=28&prodvarid=162&searchresults=1
Surrey UCAS Convention
- Places currently available on:-
- Monday 17th March – Coach 1
- Departs 11.30am / returns by 3pm
- Tuesday 18th March – Coach 2
- Departs 12.30pm / returns by 4pm
- Book via the online store - £4.50 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub as a questionnaire needs to be completed by parents via the online booking
- If you have already booked make sure you check your emails for the Surrey UCAS Convention guide to help you prepare for the visit
- BOOKING will close Thursday 13th March at midnight
Lancaster University FREE Summer Schools
- FREE Summer Schools
- Arts, Humanities and Social Science – 7 to 10 July
- Business and Management – 14 to 17 July
- Science and Technology – 21 to 24 July
- Step into HE – Gifted and Talented - 4 to 7 August
- Go 4 Uni – 4 to 7 September
- Experience what a university education can provide and develop key skills for higher education
- Certain criteria must be met
- For further information and to book a place visit www.lancaster.ac.uk/residential or phone 01524 593030
Food Science Summer School – University of Leeds
- 1-3 July 2014
- FREE 2 night residential summer school open to students in Year 12 studying for an A-level in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths
- Find out about the science of food, whilst enjoying the full University of Leeds experience
- Applications on a first come first served basis - only 2 students permitted to apply – please see Kim in the Hub if interested
For Second Years
- Student Finance applications need to be completed online through www.gov.uk/studentfinance
- We are holding 2 further workshops for students who would like help with their applications on:
- Friday 21st March – 12 to 2pm
- Friday 28th March – 10 to 12pm
- Please sign up through Moodle / Student Resources / Higher Education / Student Finance Workshops for University
- Deadline for applications 31st May 2014
For Second Years and students on 1 year courses:
- 4th July
- More details to follow.....
- What's related: