College Notices: w/c 10th November 2014
by Kim Small.
A reminder that a REMEMBRANCE SERVICE will be held today, Tuesday 11th November around the Green at 11am and a two minutes silence will be observed. Staff and students should arrive by 10.55am.
The following notices will be shown to students during PLD sessions this week:
For All Students
Refectory – Litter
- The litter in the refectory has recently been disgraceful. This is a self clear area, everyone should use the bins provided and leave the area as you would wish to find it.
- If the recent litter and mess continues we may be forced to close the facility.
- Please look after our wonderful campus for everyone to enjoy.
- Good study skills and personal management can improve your results by a grade or more
- Have you thought about how well you are managing your studies at College?
- Use the skills checklist in moodle/student resources to identify what you are doing well, and where you might improve…
Drug and Alcohol policy reminder
- We operate a ZERO TOLERANCE policy: if a student is found on site with, or under the influence of, drugs or alcohol (or related paraphernalia) they will be recommended for expulsion.
- Sadly two students have been asked to withdraw from College under this policy in the last month
- Don’t let drugs ruin your future – if you need help talk to any member of staff and support can be put in place. without disciplinary action
Presentation about “The Biology of Ebola”
- Libby Smith will be giving a presentation about "The Biology of Ebola" on Friday 14th November at 12.40 in the Martin Read Hall.
- The presentation will cover the genetics of the virus, how it is spread, symptoms, treatment and prevention of the disease.
- The presentation is aimed at AS/A level Biology students, but other interested students are welcome to attend too.
Children in Need
- Alton College Students’ Union Presents….
- Slouch Day for Children in Need
- An excuse not to get dressed in the morning!
- Wear a onesie, pyjamas or just lazing about clothes…. Students’ Union is collecting donations in buckets during the day…. please donate!
- Friday 14th November
Alton College Foundation Scholarships for Excellence
- Alton College Foundation Scholarships for Excellence – Deadline for Applications 30th November!!
- Are you a full-time student who achieved A or A* grades in most of your GCSEs?……..Then The Alton College Foundation wants to hear from you!
- The Alton College Foundation awards Scholarships worth £400 per year to students with outstanding GCSE results, or who are exceptionally talented at sport or art. Students in their first or second years at Alton College may apply.
- We also offer 3 Scholarships to talented students on the one year Arts Foundation Course, which are worth £300.
- Further details regarding how to apply and terms and conditions can be found on the Foundation website www.altoncollegefoundation.org.uk or email email@example.com
- All applications must be received by the 30th November.
College ID Cards – Reminder
- A reminder to all students that they must carry their College ID and be able to produce it when requested by a member of staff.
- It is also compulsory for students travelling by Stagecoach bus to produce their College ID with their bus pass to confirm they are students of the College. As from Monday 10th November, Stagecoach drivers are entitled to ask for payment from any student unable to produce their College ID with their bus pass.
- Replacement ID cards cost £2.00 through the online store and are to be collected from the LRC
- Science & Engineering Foundation Year
- If you want to study for a Science or Engineering degree at the University of Sheffield but you don’t meet the standard entry requirements, this is the route for you. Examples of entry requirements include ABB in any A level subjects or DDD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering/ IT or Applied Science (Maths related modules also required). For more details follow the link below:
- Your opportunity to comment on your experiences within Alton College
- Link: http://eSurv.org?u=AltonStudentSurveyOct14
- The survey can also be found on Moodle / Student Surveys http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=342
Saturday Art Club @altoncollege
- Our vibrant and popular after school club will be adding a creative flavour to Saturday mornings!
- Sessions take place from 10-12noon in Wessex Arts and cost £6 per session (£1.50 concessions with Reach Out and Have a Go voucher). Suitable for children from 5-16 years. Book via Online Store http://store.altoncollege.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=1&deptid=181&catid=150&prodvarid=183
- (Wednesday Art Club runs every week 4-5.30pm, more info and booking altoncollege.ac.uk/community)
- Sessions will cover:
- 13 December, Snow Globes /10 January, Pot Painting / 28 February, Pinhole Cameras
Live Stand up Comedy
- Live Stand Up Comedy in Wessex Arts theatre on campus
- Fri 5 Dec, 8.30pm start
- To celebrate the launch of the new season of Comedy by WessexArts we are giving all parents and students 25% discount on all tickets. Great night out for you/your friends and families.
- To book students will need to use your Alton College email address and use the discount coupon code 'ACStudent' and parents should use the code 'ACParent'
Action for Today:
- Use the Study Skills Checklist to identify areas you can improve
- Transfer these actions to your Insight Action Plan and review with your tutor at your next 121
For Second Years only:
Alton College UCAS Deadlines:
- Friday 14th November: Advisory Deadline for BTEC Extended Diploma students
- Monday 24th November: FINAL College deadline for all applications – please don’t leave it until this date as there will be long queues!
KPMG College Leaver Programme
- Earn up to £21,500 a year and KPMG will pay for your tuition and accommodation fees for you to work towards gaining an accountancy degree from the University of Birmingham or Durham University Business School
- On completion you’ll be a fully-qualified Chartered Accountant
- The programme is first come, first served and very popular.
- Find out more and apply for an August/September 2015 start at www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/schoolleavers
- Bournemouth University Scholarships and Bursaries
- An example includes the BU Academic Excellence Scholarship worth £2000, available to students who achieve ABB or above at A level or DDM or above at BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma. There is no application, students who apply to Bournemouth University will be automatically entered. For more details about the range of Scholarships/ Bursaries available at Bournemouth University follow this link:
HE Finance Information Evening for Parents
- Thursday 20th November
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 6.30pm
- Information evening on Student Finance for parents of students entering Higher Education in 2015
- Places to be booked through the online store (free of charge)
- What's related: