College Notices: w/c 11th February 2013
by Kim small.
- Diversity Week –this week!
- Check out the display in the LRC
- Read the links on Moodle Student News
- Meet the HCC Ethnic Minority Achievement Service in the Ref, 12 – 2pm Tuesday
- February is LGBT History Month http://lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/
- We are all different……. yet exactly the same……
Medicine – a career for you?
- A Student Education Evening is being held at Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice, Farnham.
- On Tuesday 12th March from 6.30-8.30pm.
- Meet the doctors, learn more about their work, tour the hospice and take the opportunity to ask questions of their team of clinicians.
- Any student interested in Medicine is strongly encouraged to attend . (parents welcome)
- Places must be booked by emailing Kim Small by Monday 25th Feb (email@example.com )
- Transport is not provided–you will need to make your own way
- The BTEC Performing Arts Extended Diploma students are looking for volunteers to perform in their production of ‘Jack's Mysterious Adventures’
- Production will be performed at a Junior School in Woking and 2 schools in Portsmouth.
- Opportunity to work within a rehearsal environment and be a representative of Alton College.
- Lunchtime rehearsals will commence after the Easter Holidays. You will also be required to attend the performances, the first being on Wed 5th June 2013.
- Places are limited – please contact Shelley Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested
Volunteer Traffic Apprentices
- Mid Hants Railway offer experience and training in understanding the safe running of the stations, signalling, guarding and shunting. This is at weekends and during the holidays at Alton, Alresford, Ropley or Medstead stations.
- Other skills that can be learnt are; customer service, time management, team working and supervisory skills.
- Spaces are limited so contact Helen Freeston, Volunteer Coordinator – email@example.com or pop in to the Student Hub, Tuesday 10.30am – 2pm if interested.
Dulux Painting Project
- Volunteers needed to help paint the Youth Centre in Bordon . Dulux have provided the paint, brushes and rollers - all they need is some enthusiastic volunteers to help the project come together.
- On Fri 1st & Sat 2nd March 2013 – If volunteering over the two days a painting & decorating qualification could be achieved!
- For more information please contact Helen Freeston, Volunteer Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org or pop in to the Student Hub, Tuesday 10.30am – 2pm.
- What is Ultimate?
- It’s a team game played with a flying disc
- Catch in the endzone to score
- You can’t run when you have the disc
- The other team tries to block your passes
- Ultimate is Self Refereed – it relies on Spirit of the Game
- Starting 28th Feb
- Sports Hall – 1pm – Thursdays
- Issue 2 of The Alternative, the Alton College magazine, written, designed and edited by you, the college students, is now live. To read articles, reviews, cartoons and more visit www.altonalternative.co.uk
- To keep The Alternative vibrant, we want a range of writers from all areas of the college. If you feel you’ve something to say and want to share it with a wider audience then email the editor, Robert Eyers at email@example.com or follow the link on the website.
- The deadline for the Issue 3 is Friday 15th March (the Ides of March!)
Higher Education Information Evening for parents (for first years)
- If your parents missed the Higher Education Information Evening, all information is available on the College website
- Link: http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/node/2833
PLD Core (For first years)
- w/c 11th Feb & 25th Feb
- Career/Uni/Apprenticeship research
UCAS convention – Surrey (for first years)
- Mon 18th / Tue 19th March
- 200 places available on each day
- Over 100 uni's present to give info, advice and guidance on your future plans.
- This is a really excellent opportunity to kick start your uni research.
- Places to be booked through the online store after half term.
Student Finance Workshops (for second years)
- We are holding several workshops over the forthcoming weeks with the first being held on:
- Friday 1st March from 10am-2pm – Room 403
- You don’t need to wait until you’ve accepted a place to apply for student finance.
- Experts from the University of Portsmouth will be visiting to help you with your application (no matter which universities you have applied to)
- Sign up for a place at the Student Hub
HE Interview Feedback (for second years)
- If you have recently attended/or are due to attend an interview for any Higher Education course, please spend a few moments completing the Higher Education Interview Student Feedback link on Moodle. (Moodle / Student Resources)
- Your responses may help future Alton College students.
- Thank you.
Progression Plans (for students on a 1 year course)
- You should now be preparing and submitting your Personal Progression Plans for what you want to do at the end of your course – your Personal Tutor will help you with this.
- If you are applying to come back to Alton in September on another course your interviews will take place after half term.
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception including the Pill, Patch, Injection, Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy testing, Chlamydia Screening and Condoms
- Also advice on Coil and Implant and any other issues
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504 – 505 in the Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
- What's related: