College Notices: w/c 12th January 2015
by Kim Small.
For ALL Students:
- Please can all Student Mentors get their completed Mentor Lions Club forms to Janet Duggan at the Student Hub by the end of January. Any questions talk to Janet or Jan Symes
- Amery Hill are looking for volunteers to help in their afterschool Maths revision classes. You don’t necessarily need to be the world’s best mathematician (or even studying Maths this year) - you will be helping students to get their grade C in GCSE. In exchange, you get valuable experience of supporting and coaching others, which would look great on CVs and UCAS applications etc!
- Please contact Janet via email@example.com
Summer 2015 exam re-sits
- Reminder - if you want to re-sit exams in the summer the FINAL DEADLINE is MIDDAY TUE 10TH FEB and we WILL NOT be able to accept applications after this date
- GCSE NOVEMBER 2014 EXAMS - POST RESULT SERVICES
- Re-marks: deadline is MIDDAY FRI 30TH JAN
- Return of Scripts: deadline is MIDDAY FRI 20TH FEB
- Applications must be made through the online store - when you apply please check that you receive your online store receipt to confirm that your purchase has been successfully processed
Stagecoach - Liss Service
- Stagecoach have asked that we remind students that the buses will only stop if there are people waiting at the bus stop to get on
- All of the stops are ‘request stops’. Unless students are visible at the bus stop the driver does not know to stop
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & Confidential service
- Contraception - Pill & Condoms and Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.30pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504-505 Student Hub - please use the Austen end entrance (orange door)
Alton College Community Courses
- There is a new programme of Community Courses for the New Year and Alton College students qualify for a 10% discount!
- Programme details can be found at www.altoncollege.ac.uk/community/courses
For Students on a 1 year course:
- 15th January @ 12.50pm
- Martin Read Hall
- Central presentation to explain your options and help you with your action plan
For Students on a 1 year course & First Year Students of a 2 year course:
Work Experience Briefing
- For ALL level 2 students and Level 3 Health and Social Care students
- Thursday 22nd Jan @ 1pm
- Martin Read Hall
Exam Access Arrangements
- If you had an exam arrangement for your GCSEs at school such as extra time, use of word processor, reader, scribe etc. You must book an update assessment with Learning Support as it has run out. Without this update assessment you will not get this arrangement for your exams at College
- Please go and see Lizzy in room 36, along the corridor behind reception, to book up as soon as possible.
Student Union Executive Elections
- Every College has a Student Union committee and it’s time to vote for the next Student Union team.
- The SU – work hard to help make the College a place that values the students. They run events like the ‘Fun in the Sun’ days, they help influence policy, they raise money for charity, they promote National student issues, they are the students direct line to the Principal
- You need to elect a new Committee, would you like to be part of the team?
The different jobs include:
- Vice President
- Equality, Diversity and Welfare Officer
- Environmental Officer
- Charities Officer
- NUS Officer
- Marketing/Press Officer
- Treloar College representative
- One year course and adult course representatives
Benefits of the job
- Speaking at events and representing the college shows many skills which will help you find work and get a Uni place
- You meet many people from different industries who may be helpful to you in the future
- You gain plenty of hands on experience in negotiating, meetings and discussions which will help you in the future.
- You work as a team to organise events and understand more about College policies and further education departments.
Want to find out more?
- Come to a meeting on Friday 16th January at 1pm in the DLC to find out more about the different roles in the Committee and chat to the current SU committee.
- Once you’ve decided that you want to apply, then your election campaigning will begin.
- Elections will be held on Friday 13th February and those elected will take their posts after the half term break
- You will be in post for a full year – so make sure you have the energy and enthusiasm to commit fully to the team.
- If you can’t make the meeting then email Jo Gardner, the Student Union Liaison Officer, or let your tutor know that you are interested.
For First Years of a 2 year course:
Higher Education Information Evening for Parents
- Thursday 5th Feb @ 6.30pm - Sports Hall
- Parents to book via the online store, max 2 seats per family - FREE event (for parents only - students will be shown presentations during PLD)
- Choosing a course and university
- Advice and guidance at Alton
- Student Finance
- Book through the online store - search for Information Evening
After Alton - Central Presentations
- Compulsory presentations providing information to students on options available after studying at Alton in the Martin Read Hall on:
- ‘A’ Directorate - 05Feb @ 12.40pm
- ‘F’ Directorate - 05Feb @ 1.15pm
- ‘N’ Directorate - 12Feb @ 12.40pm
- All students must attend the appropriate session with their tutors
UNIQ Summer Schools
- Applications for Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools now open
- FREE residential week-long courses in July/August at Oxford
- 850 places available
- You don’t need to be interested in applying to Oxford but you must be academically talented, enthusiastic and have excellent GCSE results
- Closing date: 5pm Thursday 12th February
- Apply online at www.uniq.ox.ac.uk
UK Sutton Trust Summer Schools
- Find out what university life is really like with a FREE week-long introduction at a Sutton Trust Summer School
- Open to all Y12 students
- Priority given to students who meet some or all of the following: * First generation to attend uni * have achieved at least 5 A/A* at GCSE * eligible for free school meals * come from school/neighbourhood with low progression
- Really excellent opportunity - wide range of subjects
- Find out more and apply online: http://summerschools.suttontrust.com/
- Applications close on 9th March 2015
For Second Years:
Next Steps Talk
- Tue 3rd Feb @ 12.50pm - Martin Read Hall
- Valuable and highly recommended talk for ALL students who have submitted UCAS applications
- Covers: receiving and viewing decisions / choosing your Firm and Insurance choices / UCAS Extra / Confirmation, clearing and adjustment….. and more
- Presented by University of Winchester but applicable for any course at any university
- Due to limited seats, places must be booked
- Book through the online store - search for Next Steps
- For Students who haven’t applied to university……
- During PLD w/c 2nd February you will be asked to complete a ‘Progression Form’ indicating what you are intending to do after College
- It is really important that these are completed and handed back to the Student Hub to enable us to provide you with appropriate help and guidance
- What's related: