College Notices: w/c 12th May 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Visitors on Site – for your own safety and security
- Only people invited by a member of staff are allowed on campus and they need to sign in at Reception as a visitor. You need to carry your student ID with you at all times. Please report to Reception or the Student Hub if you are aware that uninvited external people are on site
- Former students, students from other schools / colleges or any other external person must not be invited onto campus by students
- Please also be aware that Alton College students should not be on the campus of other colleges unless expressly invited by a member of that college’s staff
- Jane Machell – Principal
- The Exams Presentation is available for reference on Moodle / Student Support / Exams http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=86740
- Open up document – click on view / click on notes pages
- Exams information is also available on the parents pages of the College website – link: http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/parents/exams-information
- If you have an exam in the MORNING you must attend all subsequent lessons that day
- If you have an exam during the AFTERNOON session you do not need to attend College in the morning, but must attend any lesson after the exam has finished
- If you are taking a RESIT, you are NOT entitled to any study leave
LRC Student Survey
- Please take a minute to complete our very quick survey about the LRC
- Your comments about how you find it as a working area and any improvements you might suggest are very useful to us in planning for the future
- The link to the survey can be found on Moodle in the LRC area of Student Resources - ‘LRC Users' Survey for Students 2014’ – (In Green!)
- International Day Against Homophobia, and Transphobia
- 17th May 2014
- Face painting in the Ref!
- Anti homophobic film showing on Ref screen.
- Stand up against homophobic bullying.
- Stand up for your lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans friends
Maths at University
- Dr Calvin Smith, from Reading University's Maths Department, will be doing a fun Maths activity that will give you an idea of the sort of thing you might learn in a Maths degree
- There will also be time for any questions about Maths at university – at Reading or other universities
- Tuesday 17th June, 12.45 to 1.30pm, room 119.
- Please let Dave Lynch know if you're interested in attending as we need to have an idea of numbers email@example.com
Ever thought about volunteering?
- If you have a few spare hours a week you can make a difference to your local community
- Volunteering also looks good on your UCAS applications, CV and contributes towards the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme. We also run a Lions Club Award that recognises your achievements when you volunteer for 50 hours (Silver) and 100 hours (Gold)
- Take a look at the www.do-it.org.uk website for what volunteering you can do or pop along and have a chat to Janet Duggan at The Student Hub on a Tuesday between 10.30am – 2.00pm. You can email her on firstname.lastname@example.org. Go on give it a go…
- Alresford 4th Brownies are looking for students to help out at Brownies sessions in Alresford on Wednesday evenings during term time from 6 – 7.30pm
- You could help occasionally, regularly or even look to training as a Brownie leader
- Great opportunity to get experience in working with children and would of course enhance you UCAS Personal Statement or c.v!
- Please email Lizzy Le Fort (Elizabeth.LeFort@altoncollege.ac.uk) if you are interested and she’ll pass on your details to Brown Owl
- For further vacancies like this contact Janet – our Volunteering co-ordinator email@example.com
For First Years
Welcome to Year 2 Meetings
- ALL students on the first year of a two year programme MUST ATTEND a ‘Welcome to Year 2’ meeting on:
- Monday 9th June
- in the Martin Read Hall at the following times:
- PLD groups ending in:
- ‘A’ groups @ 10.10am
- ‘F’ groups @ 10.35am
- ‘N’ groups @ 11.00am
- The above meetings are in place of normal timetabled lessons between 10.25-11.25am – all other lessons run as per timetable.
For Second Years
Cold Control Ltd – 3 Vacancies for Engineers
- Air Conditioning Engineers.
- These are full time posts for College Leavers.
- Students undertake 1 year at the company as a full time employee and then start an apprenticeship.
- Please contact Director Lee Grant via their website
- Send them your CV and personal statement
- Look out for jobs and apprenticeship vacancies advertised through Moodle / Student Resources / Jobs and Apprenticeships
Student Hub Survey
- A student hub survey was carried out throughout week commencing 10 March 2014.
- All users of the hub desk were asked to complete a short questionnaire consisting of 4 quick answer questions.
- The main objectives of the survey were to: assess the service provided by the student hub desk and to find out about awareness of the student hub FAQ ticketing service.
- Survey Results
- 177 visitors: 79% 16-19 students the rest made up of 14-16, Adult Students, Staff Members and External Visitors
- 1) 92% of visitors achieved their desired outcome, 3% partially and 5% didn't
- 2) 97% of visitors were either very happy or happy with the Hub service (85% very happy)
- 3) 56% of visitors were not aware of the virtual Hub FAQs
- The results of this survey are being shared with the SU for further input and feedback
- One of the key actions arising is to update and increase awareness of the hub FAQs for September
- What's related: