College Notices: w/c 13th October 2014
by Kim Small.
Due to the Inset Day on Tuesday 14th Oct, no notices will be shown to second year students this week
For ALL students:
Exams – Summer 2015
- The summer exam session for AS/A2/GCSE exams has been confirmed as 11th May – 24th June 2015
- A more detailed timetable will be posted on the Exams Notice Board( in the Hub) and on Moodle after October half term.
- Detailed individual timetables will not be available until March next year when all entries are completed.
- Students should be aware that practical and oral examinations, controlled assessments, STEP papers and exams other than GCE/GCSE may be timetabled earlier or later than the dates above.
Students taking November GCSE Exam Resits:
- November exam timetable now showing on your Insight page
- Check you have the correct exam listed and at the correct tier (i.e. Foundation or Higher)
- If there are any errors you must come to the Student Hub immediately
- The bar area of the Wessex Arts theatre is not a lounge/seating area for students; this area is reserved for visitors to the Wessex Arts Centre.
Live Stand Up Comedy
- Live Stand Up Comedy in Wessex Arts theatre on campus
- Fri 7 Nov, Fri 5 Dec, 8.30pm start
- To celebrate the launch of the new season of Comedy by WessexArts we are giving all parents and students 25% discount on all tickets. Great night out for you/your friends and families.
- To book students will need to use your Alton College email address and use the discount coupon code 'ACStudent' and parents should use the code 'ACParent'
- Volunteers needed at the Cardiac Rehab Centre (behind Alton Sports Centre) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5.30pm to 8.00pm
- Andrews Endowed Holybourne are holding a Christmas Fair on 29th November and require help setting up stalls, manning stalls and clearing away
- If you are interested in helping with either of the above or want to find out more about the volunteering opportunities available, please see Janet Duggan on Tuesdays in the Hub from 10.30am-2pm
For Students on a 1 year course:
- The Alton College Students’ Union is looking for someone to represent the students on a one-year course.
- This will involve a weekly meeting at which you can present the ideas, concerns and opinions of other students.
- If you're interested in applying for this fantastic opportunity, please give your name to your tutor.
For First Year Students of a 2 year course and Students on a 1 year course
- Checked that you are up to date with your College work
- …and that you are using your Directed Study time effectively
- This is not homework….it is work set by your subjects to take place during the College day. Directed Study will…
- Help you achieve your potential
- Stretch and challenge you
- Prepare you for independence of work/Uni
- Find your Directed Study work in course areas on Moodle, or ask your subject teacher.
- Want to be part of the Students Sports Council?
- Collect an Application form from the Gym or Sports Office
- Closing date – Friday 7th November
- Aims/Objectives of the council
- Develop sports opportunities for Alton College students
- Increase opportunities for participation in recreational and competitive sport
- Create a positive image of sport and help develop an ethos of sport and health within the student body
- Develop all aspects of the council members’ skills in relationship to sport development i.e. leadership, coaching, marketing, event organisation, officiating
- Role of a Council member:
- Assist College staff in the delivery of sports clubs in the College
- Initiate, develop and run sports clubs and competitions within the College
- Market and promote these opportunities to the student body
- Promote College sport at Open Evenings, Welcome Events & Taster Days
Work Experience Briefing
• Thursday 16th October
• @ 1pm in the Martin Read Hall
• For all Level 1 students and Child Play Learning and Development students – Level 2 and Level 3 going out on Work Experience after Half Term
Action for Today:
- What volunteering do you do / could you do?
- Make notes in your planner
- (see previous volunteering slide for ideas)
The following message will be emailed to second year students and their tutors due to there being no PLD for second years this week:
Need more for your CV and Personal Statement?
- The College Governors would like to meet with a group of students from second year tutor groups to improve communication with students
- Each second year tutor group is being asked to put forward the name of one student to attend a focus group with Governors and agree some questions / issues they would like to raise
- This is a great opportunity for students currently writing personal statements / CVs and can be included on university and employment applications. It will also count towards a student’s volunteering hours
- Please nominate 1 student from each tutor group and put forward some questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The focus group will take place on Tuesday 21st October in the DLC
- What's related: