College Notices: w/c 16th June 2014
by Kim Small.
For ALL students:
College Open Evening
- Wednesday 25th June
- 3.30pm to 8.00pm
- Lessons will finish at 12.40pm
- Simply Go Buses have been rearranged and the last service for all buses departing College on the 25th June will be at 1.05pm
- If you receive a bursary this year or think you might now be eligible, you must apply by collecting, completing and returning a 2014/15 application – available from the Student Hub
- The 16-19 Discretionary Bursary fund aims to help you with the cost of your course. Transport and equipment (including books) are considered priority
- To qualify your household income must be under £22,000 and if your household income is under £16,190 from September 2014 you will also be eligible for free College meals
- You may also be entitled to the 16-19 Vulnerable £1,200 Bursary – see Bursary form for details
- Locker Safety:
- Please do not lean on or tamper with the lockers around College
- As well as the contents being damaged, if moved from their current positions the lockers may topple over!
- Locker Refunds:
- ALL locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub by Friday 4th July for a £10 cash refund. Locker keys cannot be kept and used for the next academic year
- You must clear your locker as they are emptied and cleaned over the holidays. No responsibility will be taken for any items left behind
- Lockers for 2014-15 will be issued during September
- Congratulations all those who have been nominated as Student Mentors/ Ambassadors.
(I still have a few Tutors who haven’t given me any names so do check with your Tutor if you are unsure)
- Training sessions will be:
- Tuesdays 17th & 24th June, 1st July, 12.45-1.30pm – DLC
- I will contact you via Moodle notices so please remember to check your College emails
- Dates for your diaries:
- New Student Welcome Event on Thursday 10th July
- & Taster Day on Friday 4th July
- & Induction Day Friday 5th September
- Jan - Welfare Mg, Student Hub
Volunteers – help needed!
- VOLUNTEER AT FITZROY’S SUMMER CLUB IN PETERSFIELD, 4TH – 21ST AUGUST
- Are you interested in working with young people with learning disabilities?
- Are you reliable, enthusiastic and motivated?
- Do you have Good communication skills?
- Are you a good team member?
- Have other interests/skills e.g. Drama, I.T. to share?
- Will you respect Fitzroy’s values and confidentiality?
- The Summer Club is running from 4th– 21st Aug (Mon – Thurs)
- Interviews take place on Tuesday 8th July (from 11am). The volunteer induction day is on Tuesday 15th July.
- For more information contact Jim Apted on 01730 711104 / 07767 425928 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Health Clinics for the remainder of this term:
- Unfortunately there will be NO sexual health clinics for the remainder of this term
- Check out http://www.letstalkaboutit.nhs.uk/default.asp for you local clinic information
- Remember you can come and talk to Jan in the Student Hub (orange door) - she has free condoms and can do a pregnancy test if you are worried
For First Year students on a 2 year course:
- Thursday 3rd July – 11.25am to 3.00pm
- Timetabled lessons will be replaced by a programme for all including:
- Presentations by Whatuni, visits to the Fair, sessions on Finance & UCAS applications
- There will be over 80 exhibitors * Uni’s * Gap Year organisations * Employers * Apprenticeships * Volunteering *
- You will be given a timetable for the 3rd July in PLD next week (26th June)
- If you are 100% certain you don’t want to go to Uni we need to know as an alternative work based programme will be taking place on the 3rd July
- Tutor please email names to Kim Small by Friday 20th June
University of Brighton Compact scheme:
- We are pleased to advise that Alton College have joined the University of Brighton ‘Compact’ scheme.
- This means that students applying to Brighton who apply for one of the compact courses and meet the standard entry requirements will receive a guaranteed offer or guaranteed interview – for a list of the applicable courses click here. You will also receive information, guidance and advice to help you prepare for university
- Alongside the ‘Compact’ scheme, the Plus Programme offers a range of targeted activities and events for students who meet certain criteria:
- Brighton Plus Programme
- Meet one of the following criteria and you are eligible to join:
- You have a disability or learning difficulty
- You are currently in or have been in the care of a local authority
- You are a young carer
- You have refugee or asylum seeker status in the UK
- Meet two of the following criteria:
- You are in the first generation in your immediate family to go to uni
- You received free school meals or you are in receipt of a College bursary
- You live in an area where fewer than average people go to uni
- The main wage earner in your household is in one of the National Statistics Socio Economic class groups 4-8 (Brighton will assess the last 2 criteria using the application form)
- Please see Kim in the Hub for a Brighton Plus Programme application form
Interested in Undergraduate Study in the USA
- We have been advised by the Fulbright Commission that students interested in applying for US study, who would like to sit the SAT, should register early due to the limited amount of testing centres in the UK. Registration is now open! Click here
- Visit the ‘Student World’ stand at the Progression Fair at College on the 3rd July to find out about studying abroad
For Students on a 1 year course:
Presentation Event for 100s
- All 100 students are invited to attend a Presentation Event
- On Thursday 19th June @ 12.40pm
- in the Martin Read Hall
- Awards presented
- and a cupcake for all!
- What's related: