College Notices: w/c 17th March 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Damian Hinds MP is offering a 4-week Internship at the House of Commons - Mon 7th Jul to Fri 1st Aug
- Fantastic opportunity to learn more about the workings of an MP, and the wider political process, as well as gaining valuable work experience.
- Applications are invited from young people living or studying in East Hampshire aged between 17-20
- Pay will be £189 per week, from which the intern will have to fund their travel to London, lunch etc.
- Please submit a CV, covering letter and handwritten essay on the subject “Should we maintain the current international aid budget?” to reach Damian’s office at the House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA by Friday 4th April 2014. There’s no max/min word count.
- Please see Moodle/Student Resources for further information.
- Do you have a spare room in your home?
- Do you live within 45 minutes of Alton College by public transport or on one of Alton College’s SimplyGo Bus routes?
- Could you offer one of our International Students a home from home experience?
- We are looking for friendly local families or individuals to join our register of Homestay Accommodation providers.
- For our International Students, Homestay Accommodation forms a key element of experiencing life in England while they study for their A levels. As well as providing some extra income for the hosts, offering Homestay Accommodation can also be a rewarding and enriching experience.
- Find out more about our Homestay scheme here - http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/hostfamily
- Whether on the field, in the Ref, or inside and outside College grounds, we are all responsible for our own litter
- Pick up your litter and use the bins provided
- Don’t leave it for someone else to dispose of
- Thank you
- All absences must be reported by a parent/ guardian on the Absence line: 01420 592214 - messages left by students will not be authorised.
- Pre-known absences should be advised before the day of the absence.
- Absences not known in advance should be advised on the day of the absence.
- If you are unwell during the day and need to go home you should sign out at the Hub and a parent/guardian must confirm the absence by the end of the next College day.
Alton College Cricket Nets
- Thursday the 20th of March (4.30-6pm)
- Taking place in the College Sports Hall
- Players will be selected to represent the college
- Cricket final takes place at the Hampshire Ageas bowl.
- Anyone welcome if you would like to try out
- For further information contact Dean Gillatt in the Sports Department
SPORT RELIEF ROW-A-THON 2014!
- On the 21st of March the college are looking for volunteers to help support our row-a-thon event to raise money for Sport Relief.
- We need as much support as possible so if you wish to participate in the event (or just want an excuse to burn off a few pounds!) then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!
- Together lets help raise money for vulnerable people around the world!
Gaffney Cline & Associates
- Monday 24th March @ 1pm
- Room 906 (Beacon Centre)
- Presentation by Tom Han**, Petroleum Geologist, on finding Oil & Gas and the work of GCA
- Based in Bently, near Alton, Gaffney Cline is a top International Petroleum Consultancy firm that provides technical, strategic and commercial services to the Oil and Gas industries.
- Gaffney Cline employs a variety of graduate Geoscientists, Engineers, Economic Analysts and Legal Advisors.
- Gaffney Cline awards Scholarships to two Alton College students each year, and can also provide Work Experience for A-level students who may be considering careers in Economics, Commercial Law, Geosciences, Petroleum Engineering and similar fields
Health and Wellbeing Week
- Next week......
- Activities, information and advice
- Tuesday 25th March – in the LRC:
- * Mental Health Awareness * Samaritans * Road Safety Simulator * - all in the LRC plus a Fire Crew & Appliance located at the front of College
- Thursday 27th March – in the LRC:
- Healthy Eating * Quit4Life * Drumming * Sexual Health * Blood & Organ Donation * Drink & Drug Driving ‘Walk the Line’
Parent Consultation Evenings
- Thursday 27th March & Tuesday 1st April
- The objective of these evenings is to allow an opportunity for parents to talk with teachers where there is some area of concern regarding their son or daughter’s progress, or some improvement is required in order for the student to meet their target grade(s) in the summer.
- Should you require an appointment at one of the Consultation Evenings, having checked your son/daughter’s progress on Insight, please follow the link on your son/daughter’s Insight page to our online booking system.
Easter Service with the College Chaplain
- All students are invited to a short informal Easter service on the last Wednesday of term 2nd April, between 1-2pm (during lunchtime)
- This will be held in the conference room next to the reception area at the front of college.
- There will be a short reflection and shared communion for those who want it – but feel free to come and go as you please.
- Hadley - Alton College Chaplain.
Gap Medics Summer Programme
- Gap Medics have spaces available for aspiring healthcare students to gain experience in a healthcare setting this Summer
- 1 or 2 week Minimum of 23 hours a week shadowing doctors, nurse, midwives or dentists in one of their partner hospitals, gaining valuable work experience
- If you are considering a career in healthcare visit www.gapmedics.co.uk for further information or phone 0191 230 8080, email: email@example.com
- Interested in helping to run fun activities for children aged 4-13yrs?
- Koosa Kids are recruiting for their Summer Holiday Club teams
- Excellent rates of pay
- Flexible working hours
- No prior training or experience is essential
- Visit www.koosakids.co.uk/workforus.aspx
For Students on a 1 year course:
Progression Planning FAQs
- Please make sure you collect a copy of the ‘Progression Planning – Frequently asked Questions’ leaflet from your tutor today
- This is also available on Moodle under Student Resources / Information and Policies – link:
For First Years
Leysin Ski Trip 2015
- Buy your deposit now on the online store.
- Total price £880
For Second Years
Student Finance Workshops
- Need help with your Student Finance application?
- There are a few places available at the workshop this Friday – 21st March
- The last workshop will be on Friday 28th March
- To attend, please sign up through Moodle / Student Resources / Higher Education / Student Finance Workshops for University or at the Student Hub
- Applications need to be completed through the www.gov.uk/studentfinance website by the 31st May 2014
- What's related: