College Notices: w/c 1st December 2014
by Kim Small.
The following will be shown in PLD sessions this week:-
For ALL Students
- Feedback from PLD group on the modules completed on the Drive iQ website
Summer 2015 Exam re-sits
- If you want to re-sit exams in the summer you need to make your applications via the on-line store
- We strongly recommend making applications before the Christmas break
- The FINAL DEADLINE is Tuesday 10th February and we WILL NOT be able to accept applications after this date.
- When you apply please check that you receive your on-line store receipt to confirm that your purchase has been successfully processed.
- If you are having any problems making your application then come to the Student Hub for help.
Parent Consultation Evenings
- Thursday 4th & Thursday 11th December
- The objective of these evenings is to allow an opportunity for parents to talk with teachers where there is some area of concern regarding their son or daughter’s progress
- Should you require an appointment at one of the Consultation Evenings, having checked your son/daughter’s progress on Insight, please follow the link on your son/daughter’s Insight page to our online booking system.
- 18th December – 12.30pm to 2.00pm
- Christmas Jumper Day
- Live Music
- Food stalls including: Candy Floss, Donuts and Chocolate Fountain
- Fundraising for ‘Hand in Hand for Syria’
- And other surprises
COMPETITION – College Xmas Card!
- Feeling festive and creative? We are and we’re looking for a photograph to use on the College’s Christmas Card 2014.
- The photograph can be of anything you like (keep it tasteful J ) so please do photograph other creative work, for example if you’ve engineered an amazing product, knitted the Christmas Jumper or perhaps illustrated or painted something brilliant, or even have a beautifully festive maths equation! Equally you can just photograph still life. The choice is yours.
- We will design the card - all we need from you is a photo.
- Refer to Moodle announcement for further info
- Looking forward to your entries - the competition is open to all students on all courses #talented @altoncollege
- Deadline: Thursday 4 December 2014, 5pm
January Assessment Week
- Our formal Assessment Week will be:
- Monday 26th to Friday 30th January 2015
- In the coming weeks notices will include advice to help you revise and prepare for this important assessments.
Careers at sea open day
- Friday 23rd January 2015
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Come to our open day to find out more about an exciting career as a ship’s officer in the merchant navy.
- Find out more and register via www.warsashacademy.co.uk/openday
Ecological and Environmental Sciences and Earth Sciences
- Ecological & Environmental Sciences and Earth Sciences Winter Visit Day at The University of Edinburgh- 8th Dec 2014
- For those students applying to start university in 2016, this will give you an opportunity to find out what the School of GeoSciences is all about, and to see what Edinburgh University is like as a place to study. For students who have already applied to study at Edinburgh University, it will give you the chance to talk directly to staff and students and find out more about your chosen degree programme.
- Places are limited! To register to attend this event follow the link: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/geosciences/undergraduate/register
- Directed Study will shortly appear on your timetables. This is to help you in planning to work effectively in the gaps between your lessons.
- Please use today to make sure you are aware of and up to date with Directed Study for all of your subjects.
For First Years:
Sutton Trust US Programme 2015
- FREE One-week summer school in the US with introductory events, application support and test preparation in the UK before and after
- To be eligible to apply applicants must:
- Be in Year 12
- Not hold US citizenship
- Be from a low or middle income family
- And meet all (or most of the following criteria:
- Have 8 or more As or A*s at GCSE or equivalent
- Show commitment and interest in US culture and HE
- Students who are first generation of family to go to University
- Application deadline: 27th January 2015
- To apply and for more information visit: www.suttontrust.com
- Speak to your tutor if you intend to apply and enter your Director of Learning as the referee on the application
Improve your chances of becoming…….
- A Doctor – Sat 31st January at the University College London
- A Lawyer – Sat 14th March at the University College London
- For full details, including costs and booking see www.epoc.org.uk
Business and Economics Taster Day – Loughborough
- Business and Economics Taster Day for Year 12 Students at Loughborough University- 12th Jan 2015
- The taster day will include:
- Sample lectures from leading academics.
- Details about the admissions process.
- A personal statement workshop.
- Information about careers available to business and economics graduates.
- Information on the schools mandatory placement year in industry.
- Lunch with staff and students.
- Places are limited! To book a place or to find out more information visit: www.lboro.ac.uk/sbe/taster-day or call 01509222488.
For Second Years:
- For those that have submitted their applications
- Once your application has been sent to UCAS, log on and check UCAS Track regularly for offers, invitations for interviews, auditions, additional essays or tests
- Make sure you reply to any invitations promptly – don’t miss out on an offer because you didn’t log on to Track
- Remember Universities and Colleges can take different lengths of time to make a decision
- If you missed the College deadline and still wish to apply please urgently speak to Kim Small in the Student Hub
- What's related: