College Notices: w/c 20th October 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students:
Student Reflection Period
- ‘Student Reflections’ are now open on the Subject Review tab of your Insight page
- This is your assessment of how you are doing in each of your subjects and is to help you meet your target grades
- After half-term you will discuss your reflections with your teachers
- These must be completed by the start of next half-term
IT availability over Half Term
- The College is planning to carry out some essential improvements to the IT infrastructure over the half term period. From 8:00am Thursday 30th October through to 8:00am Monday 3rd November, there will be no access to any College IT systems, including the website, Moodle and Insight.
- Can you please ensure that any work or information that you may need from Moodle during this period is uploaded onto your Office 365 account, within OneDrive so that you access from home while the work is being performed. Office 365, email and OneDrive services WILL be available throughout the IT infrastructure improvements.
- Thank you for your co-operation.
- Your opportunity to comment on your experiences within Alton College
- Link: http://eSurv.org?u=AltonStudentSurveyOct14
- The survey can also be found on Moodle / Student Surveys http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=342
Exams – Summer 2015
- The summer exam session for AS/A2/GCSE exams has been confirmed as 11th May – 24th June 2015
- A more detailed timetable will be posted on the Exams Notice Board( in the Hub) and on Moodle after October half term.
- Detailed individual timetables will not be available until March next year when all entries are completed.
- Students should be aware that practical and oral examinations, controlled assessments, STEP papers and exams other than GCE/GCSE may be timetabled earlier or later than the dates above.
If you enjoy writing poetry…..
- Or if you would like to start
- Come along to a Poetry Writing Workshop
- Friday 24th October at 12.45pm in room 708
- A student run group to Write, Share and Perform Poetry
- After this first meeting, you will choose when and where to meet (Note: you don’t have to be an English student to join)
The Ski Trip is Sold Out
- Please do not buy the 1st and 2nd payment to try to secure a place, the Lady Jane (bus – which has a name) is full
- To go on the waiting list please contact Lauren Harris Jones – email@example.com
- Places on first come first served basis
Are you thinking of Philosophy at University?
- Then come and find out more on 5th November
- £12 on Online Store
- Coach from College at 9am, back by 4:30pm
- Philosophy Day at Southampton University
- 11 – 11:45 Epistemology: ‘What good is knowledge?’ Dr. Daniel Whiting (LTA)
11:45 – 12: Coffee & Tea (North Corridor)
12 – 12:45: Subject Overview: ‘Studying Philosophy at University’ Prof. Ray Monk (LTC)
12:45 – 2: Lunch and Optional Campus Tour (North Corridor & Cafe)
2 – 2.45: Political Philosophy: ‘Can we justify human rights?’ Prof. Denis McManus (LTC)
2:45-3: Coffee & Tea (North Corridor)
3 – 3:45: Ethics/History of Philosophy: ‘What is Enlightenment?’ Dr. Sasha Mudd (LTC)
- 11 – 11:45 Epistemology: ‘What good is knowledge?’ Dr. Daniel Whiting (LTA)
Student Sports Council
- Want to be part of the Students Sports Council?
- Collect an Application form from the Gym or Sports Office
- Closing date – Friday 7th November
- Aims/Objectives of the council
- Develop sports opportunities for Alton College students
- Increase opportunities for participation in recreational and competitive sport
- Create a positive image of sport and help develop an ethos of sport and health within the student body
- Develop all aspects of the council members’ skills in relationship to sport development i.e. leadership, coaching, marketing, event organisation, officiating
- Role of a Council member:
- Assist College staff in the delivery of sports clubs in the College
- Initiate, develop and run sports clubs and competitions within the College
- Market and promote these opportunities to the student body
- Promote College sport at Open Evenings, Welcome Events & Taster Days
National Schools’ Challenge
- The National Schools’ Challenge is open all students currently studying for A-levels or equivalent (aged 16-19 yrs)
- Gives you the chance to benchmark yourself against thousands of other students across the UK
- What’s the process?
- Part one includes 4 online aptitude tests where your ranking will appear on the leader board
- Part two takes place at the Grand Final Event on 13th March 2015
- Prizes: 1st place: £500 for the winner and £1,000 for the College
2nd place: £250 for the winner and £500 for the College
3rd place: £100 for the winner and £250 for the College
Competition closes: Friday 20th Feb 2015
- To find out more visit http://schoolschallenge.targetjobs.co.uk/
Careers and Activity Day
- For students in care or recent careleavers
- Saturday 8th November 2014
- Find out about careers in youth and social work, outdoor education, childcare and catering
- YMCA Fairthorne Manor, Curdridge, Southampton
- For further details please see Jan Symes in the Hub - firstname.lastname@example.org
Live Stand up Comedy
- Live Stand Up Comedy in Wessex Arts theatre on campus
- Fri 7 Nov, Fri 5 Dec, 8.30pm start
- To celebrate the launch of the new season of Comedy by WessexArts we are giving all parents and students 25% discount on all tickets. Great night out for you/your friends and families.
- To book students will need to use your Alton College email address and use the discount coupon code 'ACStudent' and parents should use the code 'ACParent'
Sexual Health Clinic
- Please note there will be no Sexual Health Clinic at College this Friday (24th October)
- Local clinics can be found on http://www.letstalkaboutit.nhs.uk/default.asp
- Lessons finish at 4.30pm on Friday 24th October
- Half term – 27th to 31st October inclusive
- College starts at 8.50am on Monday 3rd November
For First years of a 2 Year Course & Students on a 1 Year course:
Action for Today
- Start your Student Reflection
For First years of a 2 Year Course:
Considering a career in Medicine?
- Every year Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice in Farnham run an evening for students who are thinking about pursuing a career in Medicine
- Meet their doctors and medical students. Learn about their work and take the opportunity to ask them questions about their experiences as a qualified doctor and in medical school
- Tuesday 11th November from 6.30pm-8.30pm
- This event is always very popular and places are limited and to students only. Please note you will need to make your own way to the event
- If you would like to sign up to attend the above event please email Kim Small (email@example.com) by 4pm on Thursday 23rd October
For Second Years:
HE Finance Information Evening for Parents
- Thursday 20th November
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 6.30pm
- Information evening on Student Finance for parents of students entering Higher Education in 2015
- Places to be booked through the online store (free of charge)
Need more for your CV and Personal Statement?
- The College Governors would like to meet with a group of students from second year tutor groups to improve communication with students
- Each second year tutor group is being asked to put forward the name of one student to attend a focus group with Governors and agree some questions / issues they would like to raise
- This is a great opportunity for students currently writing personal statements / CVs and can be included on university and employment applications. It will also count towards a student’s volunteering hours
- Please nominate 1 student from each tutor group and put forward some questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The focus group will take place on Tuesday 4th Nov in the DLC
UCAS – Advisory Deadlines
- Friday 24th October -This is our advisory deadline for students taking A-levels. If you have chosen your courses and your application is near to completion aim to finalise your application by this date
- Please don’t rush to submit your application by this deadline if you are still undecided on courses etc
- The College has 15 term days to process your application once submitted, e.g.:
- Submitted: 24th Oct / To be sent on or before: 21st Nov
- Submitted: 3rd Nov / To be sent on or before: 24th Nov
- And so on until FINAL College deadline:
- Submitted: 24th Nov / To be sent on or before 16th Dec
- Look up Scholarships to help fund your university studies
- Scholarships available are based on a wide range of eligibility criteria. Some are based purely on academic merit, others on financial need or on your specific skills and abilities
- Click on: http://www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk/scholarships to find out more
- What's related: