College Notices: w/c 21st April 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Exam Stress getting you down?
- Panic? Freeze? Can’t remember even though you have been revising?
- Come to the Exam Stress Busting workshops:
- Learn and practice simple techniques to help you to remain calm and so do your best J
- Tuesday 29th April 1 to 1.45pm
- Thursday 1st May 1 to 1.45pm
- Room 32 (Conference room behind front Reception)
- Run by Lizzy Le Fort & Jan Symes
Considering a career in the Royal Navy?
- Find out about the Royal Navy Reserves
- Attend a meeting on:
- Tuesday 13th May
- @ 2.00pm
- In the Conference room (front of College next to Reception)
Creative Story Competition
- Hampshire County Council is hosting a ‘short story’ competition around the theme of bullying. The stories need to be written by young people and be original, thought provoking and no longer than 500 words
- Deadline: Friday, 18 July 2014
- There will be 10 winners, 2 from each age group, who will have the chance to read (or have read out) their winning story at the annual Anti-Bullying Conference in Winchester on Friday 17th Oct 2014
- Winning entries will be decided by a panel of judges, including young people and winners will be notified by Fri 3rd Oct
- Send your story, with your name, age and year group, school/college to: Anti-Bullying Good Practice Group, Educational Psychology, Second Floor, Block A, Public Services Plaza Civic Centre Road, Havant, PO9 2AX or email Jackie.firstname.lastname@example.org
- For information and regular updates visit: www.hants.gov.uk/bullying-yp
Student Union Social Media
- Keep up to date with everything to do with the Student Union
- Like our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/altoncollegesu
- Follow us on Twitter:
- For news, events, competitions and more…
Student Union Charity 2014-2015
- Student Union will be supporting ‘Hand in Hand for Syria’ this year.
- We are also supporting the Alton Food Bank
- We will be holding fundraising events for them throughout the year.
- First fundraising event after Easter – keep an eye out around College.
For First Year Students:
Personal Statement Presentations
- We have arranged for representatives from universities to provide talks on Personal Statements Even if you are not considering going to university you will still need to have a Personal Statement
- The talks have been arranged as follows and will be held in the Martin Read Hall:-
- All ‘A’ PLD groups Thu 24th April @ 12.45pm
- All ‘F’ PLD groups Thu 1st May @ 12.45pm
- All ‘N’ PLD groups Thu 15th May @ 12.45pm
- These are compulsory for all first year students to attend, along with their tutors
Your Year 2 Choices
- You should now have selected your Year 2 programme on Insight (excluding BTEC 90-Credit/Extended Diploma students
- We recommend all lessons are attended to the end of the Summer Term in case results change your mind
- Your tutor will be checking your choices this week and arranging 121s if necessary
- During w/c 28th April drop in sessions will be available for students wishing to continue 4 subjects to Year 2 or pick up a new course–details to follow
Explanation of Reading Week 2-6th June
- 26 – 30 May is Half Term
- 02 – 06 June is Reading Week
- The majority of students will have finished their exams by this time. This week is a time to prepare for the second year of your studies. You should enrol on the Moodle courses for the subjects you are taking (e.g. taking Economics AS, enrol on Economics A2). In each course you should spend time reading about the units you will study and familiarising yourself with the Directed Learning tasks / information.
Free Summer School – Southampton Solent University
- 3 day/2 nights
- Wed 9th – Fri 11th July
- Explore Solent’s campus and facilities. Sample Solent’s courses
- Live in Solent’s student residences
- Meet students, staff and others just like you and see what Solent has to offer
- DEADLINE for Applications tomorrow - Friday 25th April! (previously advertised through Moodle post)
- Go to www.solent.ac.uk/summer-school
University of Chichester Insight Days
- Available for Year 12 students
- FREE Insight Days enable you to learn more about the courses offered by the University of Chichester
- Social Work & Childhood Studies – 25th June
- Humanities – 9th July
- Teaching and Education – 10th July
- Sport – 11th July
- For further information and to book a place visit www.chi.ac.uk/insight
University of Reading – Summer Schools 2014
- 2 day non-residential Summer schools at the University of Reading in July 2014
- Available in: Mathematics / French & German / Biology / Chemistry
- Year 12 students studying for an A-level in relevant subject area can apply – priority given to students who have no experience of higher education in their immediate family
- Free of charge
- If you are interested in applying, please see Kim Small in the Hub by 4pm on Mon 28th April
University of Bath – Summer School 2014
- Mon 7th – Fri 11th July
- FREE residential for Year 12 students interested in studying a Science or Engineering degree at university.
- Choose from: * Engineering * Physics * Pharmaceutical Chemistry * Biology
- To apply you should have achieved mostly (more than 6) A*-B grades at GCSE or equivalent including English and Maths and be studying relevant A-levels.
- Priority given to students who meet certain criteria
- If you are interested in applying, please see Kim Small in the Hub by 4pm on Monday 28th April.
Falmouth University - Residential Summer Schools
- 14-18 July 2014
- 21-25 July 2014
- Year 12 residential summer schools for students considering a creative degree course
- Take part in creative activities, workshops and master classes, cultural visits and receive advice and guidance on Higher Education
- Cost: £250. Bursaries available through Falmouth University
- For further information and to book a place go to: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/summerschools
- Application deadline: 31May2014
For Second Year Students
Locker Key refunds – relevant for students completing their College courses this year
- As you will know, all locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub before you leave College in order to obtain a £10 cash refund.
- You must have completed your exams and emptied your lockers before returning your key
- Locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub between Mon 19th May and Fri 4th July
- Please do not try to return your key for a refund before the above dates.
- (Students continuing must return their locker keys by the end of the academic year)
Replying to offers – Important Reminder
- Make sure you log on to UCAS Track to check the date that you need to reply to your offers by (https://track.ucas.com/)
- Don’t miss your date – if you do UCAS will decline all offers on your behalf!
- Last Decision by: 31Mar14 - Your Reply Date: 07May14
- Last Decision by: 08May14 - Your Reply Date: 05Jun14
- See further information on ‘Replying to Offers’ under Moodle / Student Resources / Higher Education
- What's related: