College Notices: w/c 21st October 2013
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- 24th January to 31st January =
- College Formal Assessment Period
- This is for examined and coursework programmes.
- A special timetable will operate over this period, details to follow.
- The resulting marks will provide your interim grades for your course
- Utilise half term to ensure you are up to date and revise the areas of work you have studied so far
Student Reflection period
- 21st Oct – 1st Nov
- This is when you will enter your ‘Student Reflections’ on Insight
- This is your assessment of how you are doing in each of your subjects and is to help you meet your target grade
- Your subject teachers will work with you to help you reflect on your progress
- After half-term you will discuss your reflections with your teachers
- 4th Nov – 30th Nov
- During November you will have a 121 with a teacher from each subject/unit
- Your Reflections will be discussed and a summary agreed and recorded on Insight
- Actions are an important part of the November Reviews
Message from College Chaplain
- How’s it going?
- Needing someone to talk to? I am here for you and happy to listen.
- E mail me on HadleyBennet@altoncollege.ac.uk or find me on Moodle.
- Hope to see you around……
- Hadley - Alton College Chaplain.
Careers Advice & Guidance
- Careers Advisor appointments will recommence the week after half term
- If you have an urgent query this week please see your Senior Tutor in the first instance
Message from Alton College Student Union
- Free Subway Vouchers!
- Visit the Student Union table outside the Martin Read Hall this week (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) between 10.05-10.25 or 1.00-1.45 for your free vouchers
- To get more deals like this, like our Facebook page and get yourself an NUS Card
- For more information visit us outside the Martin Read Hall
- Or search http://www.nus.org.uk
LRC – 23rd October
- The computer side of the LRC will be closed most of the day - until at least 3 pm - on Wednesday 23rd October for an exam. The Library will be open as usual but please be very quiet when coming and going. The computer area will re-open as soon as possible after 3pm and the whole LRC will then be open until 7 pm as usual on a Wednesday.
- The UCAS Clinic has been relocated to room 318 for the 23rd October only
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
Nursing & Midwifery courses in Berkshire
- Open Day
- Saturday 16th Nov – 11am to 4pm
- University of West London, Reading site
- Courses in Nursing, Midwifery & Healthcare
- Meet tutors, learn more about their facilities and discover the career opportunities available to you after study
- Booking is essential – www.uwl.ac.uk/berkshireopen
- Compulsory meeting for all students applying or considering applying to Roehampton University
- TODAY!! Tuesday 22nd October
- @ 1pm
- Martin Read Hall
For First Years:
- Accountancy Careers with BDO – Insight Days and Summer School Work Experience
- Insight Day – find out more about potential career paths in an accountancy firm and the school leaver programme on offer
- Thursday 31st October – Southampton
- Opportunity to speak with a variety of BDO staff members including current trainees and members of the recruitment team and take part in interactive sessions
- Summer School
- The Summer School Work Experience placement runs for two weeks from late July 2014.
- Great opportunity! If successful during the placement you may receive an offer to join the BDO School Leaver Programme in September 2015.
- To find out more go to www.bdo.co.uk/schools where you can also apply online
For Second Years:
HE Student Financial Support Evening for Parents
- Thursday 21st November
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 7pm
- Information evening on Student Finance for parents of students entering Higher Education in 2014
- Places to be booked through the online store (free of charge)
UCAS Advisory Deadline
- Friday 25th October -This is our advisory deadline. If you have chosen your courses and your application is near to completion aim to finalise your application by this date
- Please don’t rush to submit your application by this deadline if you are still undecided
- The College has 15 term days to process your application once submitted, e.g.:
- Submitted: 25th Oct / To be sent on or before: 22nd Nov
- Submitted: 4th Oct / To be sent on or before 25th Nov
- And so on until FINAL College deadline:
- Submitted: 25th Nov / To be sent on or before 17th Dec
- UCAS Application:
- Attend UCAS clinics for help with your application
- You will ALL need to visit a UCAS clinic to submit your final application – completing an application online does not mean that your application has been submitted
- Sign up at the Hub to attend a UCAS clinic
- Personal Statements:
- These should be checked and signed off by your tutor, however we do have slots available for help with Personal Statements at the UCAS Clinics
- Sign up at the Hub
- What's related: