College Notices: w/c 22nd June 2015
by Kim Small.
For ALL students:
- Please note Friday 3rd July is a normal teaching Day. IT IS NOT a Year 10 Taster (no teaching) Day as indicated in the Student Planner
- Last day of teaching for this academic year:
- Wednesday 8th July - full day of timetabled lessons
- New academic year starts:
- Monday 7th September for 1st year students and students on a 1 year course @ 8.50am
- Tuesday 8th September for 2nd year students @ 10.25am
Snow Team 2016
- There are only 30 places left for Fiesch, we’ll sell half of these at the WelcomeFest so please book now to avoid disappointment
- Book through the Alton College online store
Reminder – Bursaries 2015-2016
- Although the deadline for applying for Bursaries is the 31st August, we encourage all applicants to apply as soon as possible!
- If you receive a bursary this year or think you might now be eligible, you must apply by collecting, completing and returning a 2015/16 application – available from the Student Hub
- To qualify your household income must be under £22,000 and if your household income is under £16,190 from September 2015 you will also be eligible for free College meals
- You may also be entitled to the 16-19 Vulnerable £1,200 Bursary – see Bursary form for details
For all students with lockers – Reminder!
- ALL locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub by Monday 6th July for a £10 cash refund. Locker keys cannot be kept and used for the next academic year
- You must clear your locker as they are emptied and cleaned over the holidays. No responsibility will be taken for any items left behind
- Lockers for 2015-16 will be issued during September
For students on the 1st year of a 2 year course
UCAS 2016 Registration Day
- Friday 26th June
- @ 9.30am / 10am / 10.30am / 11am / 11.30am / 12pm / 1.30pm / 2pm / 2.30pm / 3pm / 3.30pm / 4pm
- YOU MUST be in the LRC 5mins before the session start time to allow for logging on. Late comers will be turned away to attend the next session
- Alternative sessions will be arranged for students on trips etc – please contact Kim Small for details (email@example.com)
Progression Fair – 2nd July
- Thursday 2nd July
- Collect a timetable from your tutor today (Thursday 25th June)
- During the day you will:
- Visit the Fair in the Sports hall where over 90 exhibitors will be attending
- Attend a presentation by Whatuni.com on how to choose the right course/university
- Attend presentations by tutors on how to apply to university and information on student finance
- It is compulsory that ALL students attend
Progression Fair Preparation.............
Universities – over 50 universities/colleges attending
- Think about what you could ask:
- What grades do you need?
- Do they offer bursaries/scholarships?
- Accommodation – what type/how much?
- What do they look for in your personal statement?
- Will you need to attend an interview?
- Is it an advantage to get your application in early?
Universities – overseas
- Maastricht University, Netherlands – courses in Psychology, Economics and Business, Health, Medicine, Arts & Culture, Law and more
- European Medical International – support students into European universities to study Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary courses
- Think about what you could ask………
- How much will it cost?
- What are the benefits for applying to an overseas university?
- How would you apply?
- What are the deadlines? Etc
- Healthcare: Absolute Healthcare / Challengers / Queen Alexandra Royal Army Nursing Corp / Royal Mencap Society
- Business/IT/Finance/Law: Allianz / BDO / BPP / CGI / EY / IBM / KPMG
- Engineering: ICE / Paradigm / Virgin Media
- Various careers with the Armed Forces / Hampshire Constabulary
- Future-talent.com –provide info on apprenticeships/school leaver opportunities
- Local employers with many opportunities: East Hants District Council / Portfolio Recruitment
- Volunteering opportunities through Community First HEH and Join In (Sports)
- Think about what you could ask:
- When would you need to apply?
- Do they require specific grades / subjects?
- How many vacancies do they have
- Would you need to obtain volunteering/work experience before applying Etc
Thinking about taking a year out after College?
- Visit the Gap Year providers to discuss the many opportunities available:
- ESL Language Travel / Espirit Ski / gap360 / KOOSA Kids / Outreach International / Oyster Worldwide / Project Trust / Projects Abroad / Raleigh International / Real Gap & I-to-I Travel / Sporting Opportunities & Changing Worlds / Leap Overseas Ltd / Tru Experience Travel / GapGuru
- Receive Gap Year advice including safety, insurance, accommodation, travel discounts and more from Mind the Gap Year
- Vaccination & Health advice from Chawton Park Surgery
Moving from Year 1 to Year 2
- Please ensure that you read the important information on what happens when you receive your exam results under Student Resources / Information and Policies
- This contains information on:
- what to do if you don’t pass your first year
- what if you change your mind over the summer holidays about which A2s you want to do next year
- plus other things to consider after your Results
- This information is also on the Parents’ pages of the College website under Moving from Year 1 to Year 2
- What's related: