College Notices: w/c 22nd September 2014
by Kim Small.
For ALL students
Please drive carefully!
- A neighbour has reported that very sadly their family pet was run over yesterday (Thursday) by a young driver who was driving too fast and did not stop. This was witnessed by her daughter. Please can students take care and slow down on roads around the College – and elsewhere.
Feeling Stressed or Anxious?
- Maybe you need Stress Control...
- Tuesday 23rd September
- Room 708 - Austen Building
- Run by NHS Talk
- Stress control is:
- A free workshop aimed at helping you understand and manage stress
- Uses proven techniques
- Will NOT involve you talking about your problems in the group
- Is a chance to learn new skills
World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
- Come and be part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday 26th September
- Delicious selection of cakes in room 54 (on the red route)
- Can you beat the keeper?
- Think you can score 3 in a row?
- Win a prize for scoring 2 or 3 goals!!!!
- Each penalty is only 20p!!!
- Participate in a charity event to raise money for Macmillan Cancer support!
- Friday 26th September – Sports Hall – 3.30pm to 4.30pm
- Thursday 2nd October
- From 3.30pm to 8.00pm
- College Finishes at 1pm
- Please speak to your subject teachers to see how you can help
The Ultimate Sports Challenge
- Friday 3rd October at 3.30-4.30pm
- This is a sports event to help raise money for the Macmillan Cancer Support Charity
- The entrance fee to take part in this event will only be £1
- The event will be taking place in Alton College Sports Hall
Live Stand up Comedy
- Live Stand Up Comedy in Wessex Arts theatre on campus
- Fri 3 Oct, Fri 7 Nov, Fri 5 Dec, 8.30pm start
- To celebrate the launch of the new season of Comedy by WessexArts we are giving all parents and students 25% discount on all tickets. Great night out for you/your friends and families.
- Headliner for the October show is Gareth Richards, fresh from touring with Frank Skinner and appearing with Russell Howard.
- To book students will need to use your Alton College email address and use the discount coupon code 'ACStudent' and parents should use the code 'ACParent'
- Gym inductions will be taking place on Wednesday and Thursday mornings from 10:10am to 11:25am over the next few weeks
- Sign up sheets will be put up weekly on the gym doors only for students
- You will need to provide evidence of payment (email from the online store) for either the gym or sports team subscription when you arrive for induction
QS World University Tour
- The QS World University Tour undergraduate fair will be taking place
- On Sunday 5th October from 1.30pm-6pm
- At the Lancaster Hotel London, Lancaster Terrace, London W2 2TY
- Over 30 of the world’s top universities will be attending from both the UK and abroad
- Free to attend but you must register via www.topuniversities.com/schools
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception – Pill & Condoms & Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.30pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504–505 Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
Applying to Medical School?
- Med School Success covers very stage of the application process
- Register online for free access to articles and expert advice
- Pay just £15 for practice UKCAT and interview questions
- Further details available at www.MedSchoolSuccess.co.uk
Students considering a career in Medicine – Medlink
- Medlink – the world’s largest event for students considering a career in medicine
- at The School of Medicine, University of Nottingham
- Medlink Free: 17 Dec 2014 – 11am to 5pm
- For further information and to register your interest go to: www.medlink-uk.net
- ***or UPGRADE to ***
- Medlink Campus: 15-17 Dec 2014 – see www.medlink-uk.net for details of fees and how to book
- Improve your chances of becoming a Lawyer – Saturday 14th March 2015 – University College London
- Improve your chances of becoming a Doctor – 31st Jan, 28th Feb, 28th March 2015
- See www.epoc.org.uk for details
For Students on a 1 year course
Level 2 BTEC Students
- If you had an examination access arrangement at school e.g. extra time, use of a word processor, a reader, a scribe etc. please come and see Lizzy in room 61 to book an update assessment. You arrangement has run out and without an update assessment you won’t get your arrangement in your BTEC exam. Our assessment slots are booking up fast – so please make this a priority!
For first year students on a 2 year course
More Able and Talented
- On Friday 3rd October we will be launching our ‘More Able and Talented’ programme for the coming academic year.
- @ 1pm – Martin Read Hall
- Students who performed very strongly in their GCSE’s will receive an emailed invitation.
- Anyone else is welcome to attend but will need to book a place by signing up at the Hub.
For Second Years
Work Experience Briefing
- Tuesday 30th September
- Compulsory meeting for all Level 3 students going out on work Experience
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 1pm
Personal Statement Checks
- Alongside the UCAS clinics, we are holding Personal Statement checking sessions run by representatives from universities.
- The first of these sessions will be held on Monday 29th September
- This is an excellent opportunity to get advice from a university perspective
- Sign up at the Student Hub for a slot
- What's related: