College Notices: w/c 23rd September 2013
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Instrumental lessons for non-music students
- Are you an instrumentalist but not studying a music performance course?
- If you wish to have one to one lesson with any of our specialist instrumental teachers, you can sign up for them by going to the Online Store - For Students - Non-Music Student Instrumental Lessons. There will be a charge for this, details on the Online Store.
Exams – Extra time etc
- Reminder for students who have previously had extra time or other exam access arrangements.
- If you are sitting any exams this academic year, please come and book an update assessment with the Learning Support team in room 61 or 62. This is particularly important for students doing GCSE English controlled assessments in October.
- If you have had exam access arrangements because of a medical condition, please bring a Doctor’s letter or other relevant evidence to The Exams Office.
- Debating Society enrichment
- Wednesdays @ 12.40pm
- Room 113 (Neville Building)
- Weekly from this week
- Every Mon, Tue and Wed
- 1.00 to 2.00pm – in Room 121
- Come along and get help with any of your Maths queries - whatever course you are doing, from FSMQ Money Management to A2 Further Maths
- All AS Maths students with a B grade at GCSE have this timetabled once per week - make sure you attend on either Mon, Tue or Wed every week.
- Similarly, all AS Use of Maths students with a C grade at GCSE; all A2 Maths/UoM students with an E grade at AS or a U grade in Core 1/Core 2/Algebra; and all students without a D grade doing GCSE Maths must attend Maths Workshop every week.
Ski Trip 2014
- Apres Ski
- Ice Hockey
- Murder Games
- Sauna and swim
- Awards Night
- Now on sale through Alton College online store
Students on IT & Business related courses
- CAE would like to offer Alton College students an exclusive opportunity to receive a scholarship, funded by CAE Technology Services and backed by the world’s leading ICT Manufacturers including; Cisco Systems, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, VMware and NetApp.
- Please see information posted on Moodle under Student Resources – Student News (http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=14712)
- Your chance to tell us what you think about the start of the new term.
- Click the Student Survey link on the left of your home page and give us your feedback. http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/course/enrol.php?id=342
- This term is particularly busy with school events and we ask students to help by going back to visit their ‘old’ school, talking to Yr11 pupils (and possibly parents)
- Please would all ambassadors keep an eye out for the notices on Moodle. Non-ambassadors can also volunteer by signing up at the Hub
- We have a great deal of positive feedback from schools about our returning students
- Taking part not only gives you the opportunity to communicate with others in an engaging way but it also looks great on your CV/University application!
Student Finance Tour
- ‘Think you can’t afford University, think again!’
- Presentation by the Student Finance Tour
- Thursday 10th October @ 1pm
- Martin Read Hall
- Presentation aimed at first year students but anyone welcome to attend
- There are still a large number of bus and train passes to be collected from the Student Hub.
- Please collect as soon as possible!
‘New’ ATM Cash Machine in Refectory
- The machine is free to use with no charges
- Take out as little as £5
- Works as per normal bank cash point’s whereby out of date cards and stolen cards will be withheld.
- to keep your pin number secure and don’t allow anyone else to see when using the machine
- CCTV is in constant use in the refectory and any abuse of this machine will not be tolerated
For First Years:
Monitoring & Review Cycle
- During next weeks PLD session, your tutor will be showing a short presentation on the Monitoring and Review cycle.
- It is important that all students understand the process.
More Able & Talented
- On Friday 4th October we will be launching our ‘More Able and Talented’ programme for the coming academic year.
- @ 1pm – Martin Read Hall
- Students who performed very strongly in their GCSE’s will receive an emailed invitation.
- Anyone else is welcome to attend but will need to book a place by signing up at the Hub.
For Second Years:
- If you are applying to university and haven’t yet visited a UCAS clinic, come along and get a section signed off
- This will speed things up when you are ready to submit your application and we can help with any questions
- Sign up at the Student Hub.
Personal Statement Advice
- Once a week a representative from a university will be in College looking over Personal Statements
- This week a representative from Winchester University will be at the UCAS clinic on Friday 27th Sept
- This is an excellent opportunity to get advice from a university’s perspective.
- Please sign up for a slot at the Student Hub and bring a print out of your Statement to the Clinic
- What's related: