College Notices: w/c 24th February 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Please be sure to use Insight to record your thoughts on progress in your subjects/units.
- The top of your Insight page will highlight how many reflections you still have outstanding
- Complete reflections by Friday 28th February
- Use the Action Plan tab on your Insight to note your Long Term Aim
- Then enter some short and medium term actions to get started
- e.g. Research using HEAP, book Careers Appointment, talk to English teacher about degree courses, look at moodle careers resources, complete KUDOS….
- Representatives from the Army Careers Service will be in College on:
- Thursday 27th February
- From 10am-2pm in the Refectory
- No need to book an appointment – just turn up between the above times to discuss opportunities available for a career in the Army
AOC Student Design Competition
- Alton College Alumnus Russell Howard won an AOC Gold award last year. Charlie Essex, our SU president collected it on his behalf and presented it to him backstage at one of his recent gigs. Now the AOC are looking for students to design a new trophy for the award. Full details of the competition can be found on the AOC website
- The prize is a trip to the House of Lords for the winner + 3 guests to see your trophy awarded to this year’s AOC Gold Award winners and £100.
- The deadline is 13th March and all the details are below.
- Entries need to be made through the College, not individually-if you would like to enter please let your tutor know, or e.mail Frances in Fundraising & Alumni on firstname.lastname@example.org
Area next to College Reception
- Unless you have authorisation from a member of staff, the area through the doors to the left of reception is out of bounds for students
- If you are found in this area without prior arrangement you will be asked to move
Volunteers needed at Cookery Club
- Alton Infants are looking for a cooking club helper. It would be on a Wednesday 3.00 to 5.00. Duties include helping to set up / clear away. Supporting the children while cooking.
- Places are very limited so if you’d like to help please contact : Helen Freeston, Volunteer Service Manager – email@example.com or pop in to the Student Hub, Tuesday’s 10.30am – 2pm (Drop in Monday 24th rather than Tuesday 25th Feb)
- Or call 0300 500 8085
UCA Art Competition 2014
- Art on a Postcard!
- 1st Prize £600 / 2nd Prize £300 / 3rd Prize £100
- UCA are running a competition for artists and designers aged between 16 and 19 in the UK, with cash prizes and the chance for shortlisted entries to be exhibited at the Elaine Thomas Exhibition Space at UCA Farnham.
- Your image could be a painting, photograph, collage, drawing or any combination of these.
- How to Apply - Create your artwork on a 6x4 postcard
- Deadline: 14th July 2014
- Click here for further information: http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/art-competition
Thank you for voting and for standing
The new SU Executive Committee will be:-
- President: Tobias Millard
- Vice President: Abi Riem
- NUS Officer: Ruby Luckham and Louis Van Der Lande
- Environment Officer: Amy Giraudet
- Charities Officer: Sofia Pritchard
- Treasurer: Mimi Pomerance
- Marketing/Press Officer: Lucy Sheriff
- Secretary: Pearl Knight
- Equality and Diversity: Guerson Neto
- Treloars’ Rep: Paul Tyrell
For First Year Students:
Surrey UCAS Convention
- Monday 17th & Tuesday 18th March
- 200 places available on each day - if you wish to travel with a friend please make sure you book on the same coach/day as you will not be able to change - places still available
- Over 100 uni's present to give info, advice and guidance on your future plans. This is a really excellent opportunity to kick start your uni research.
- Book your place via the online store - £4.50 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub as a questionnaire needs to be completed by parents via the online booking
Student Sports Council
- Want to be part of the Students Sports Council?
- Collect an Application form from the Gym or Sports Office
- Closing date – Friday 28th February
- Aims/Objectives of the council
- Develop sports opportunities for Alton College students
- Increase opportunities for participation in recreational and competitive sport
- Create a positive image of sport and help develop an ethos of sport and health within the student body
- Develop all aspects of the council members’ skills in relationship to sport development i.e. leadership, coaching, marketing, event organisation, officiating
- Role of a Council member:
- Assist college staff in the delivery of sports clubs in the college
- Initiate, develop and run sports clubs and competitions within the college
- Market and promote these opportunities to the student body
- Promote college sport at Open Evenings, Welcome Events, Taster Days & Health Awareness weeks
Are you interested in learning to Dive in the Red Sea?
- We are planning a 7-day trip to Jordan in October Half Term
- You will be able to complete a Padi open water scuba diving course
- We will also be visiting Petra and Wadi Rum
- For further information attend a meeting in room 524 at 12.40pm on Friday 7th March
Considering studying Medicine at University?
- Wednesday 18 June 2014, 9.30am - 3.30pm at the University of London Bloomsbury campus
- This is a taster course with a difference. It will provide you with an overview of medicine as a degree subject and the career options in medicine after graduation.
- The day will include talks from doctors on how and why they went into medicine and what being a doctor is really like. You will also have the chance to hear about studying medicine from current medical students.
- For further details and to apply, please visit our website http://tasters.gradsintocareers.co.uk/courses/details/CG591
- Application deadline: 12am (midnight) on Monday 31 March 2014. Places will be allocated on a random selection basis
Considering a career as a Doctor of Lawyer?
- Places available at the following conferences:
* Improve Your Chances of Becoming a Doctor
1 March 2014 at The University of Manchester
29 March 2014 at University College London
* Improve Your Chances of Becoming a Lawyer
15 March 2014 at University College London
- Full details, including costs and booking places, are at www.epoc.org.uk
Considering studying Abroad?
- Meet over 50 universities from around the world at The Student World Fair at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday 22nd March 2014.
- 9am – 4pm
- You'll be able to attend interactive sessions to learn more about studying abroad and to find out more about fees and funding, as well as have the opportunity to wander around and find out more at your leisure
- For further information and to register to go: http://www.thestudentworld.com/events/event/london_march_2014
For Second Years
- Universities and Colleges can take different lengths of time to make a decision and it is likely that a lot of you will still be waiting to hear - universities have up to the 8th May to make decisions if you applied by the 15th Jan deadline.
- When you receive all of your offers you will need to choose your ‘Firm’ (first choice) and ‘Insurance’ (back up choice)
- DON’T rush into deciding on your choices
- You will need to respond by your ‘reply date’ which will be displayed in Track. This is based on when the last decision is received for your choices so may differ to other people:
- Last Decision by: 31Mar14 /Your Reply Date: 07May14
- Last Decision by: 08May14 /Your Reply Date: 05Jun14
Student Finance for University
- Don’t wait until you’ve accepted a place to apply for your student loans and grants – apply using your first choice and this can be changed later if need be. You need to apply as soon as possible to make sure that you have everything sorted before you start university.
- Experts from the University of Portsmouth will be visiting College on the following dates to help you with your application (no matter which universities you’ve applied to).
- Book now for the following dates via Moodle/Student Resources/Higher Education
- Fri 7th Mar / Fri 14th Mar / Fri 21st Mar / Fri 28th Mar
- What's related: