College Notices: w/c 24th March 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Health and Wellbeing Week
- This week............
- Activities, information and advice – taking place in the Refectory
- Tuesday 25th March: 12-2pm - Ref
- Mental Health Awareness * Road Safety Simulator * - plus a Fire Crew & Appliance on site re Road Safety
- Thursday 27th March: 12-2pm - Ref
- Healthy Eating * Quit4Life * Drumming * Sexual Health * Blood & Organ Donation * Drink & Drug Driving ‘Walk the Line’ * Samaritans PLUS Stephen Fry film on TVs in the ref
Important Dates/Events for Students
- Please make sure that you all read the ‘Important Dates/Events for Students’ information on Moodle – under Student Resources / Information and Policies
- Link: http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=85620
Message from your SU
- Please could your tutor group vote for their choice of Charity for fundraising this year:
- Animal welfare charity
- World Aid charity
- Children’s charity
- Tutors could you send your PLD vote direct to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lions Club Volunteering Award
- If you have previously received an invitation to attend the Lions Club Volunteering Award – this is to remind you that it will be taking place on Tuesday 1st April at 1pm in the Conference Room (front of College next to College Reception)
- Volunteering Drop-In
- There will be no volunteer drop-in on Tuesday 1st April. Information on the Lions Club Awards and Volunteer Registrations forms can be found on Moodle or picked up in the Student Hub. These can be emailed to me or dropped into the Student Hub.
- Helen Freeston–0300 500 8085 / email@example.com
Exams – Special Consideration
- It may be possible for you to apply for Special Consideration if you feel your performance was affected during an exam due to circumstances out of your control. The Exams Officer will only support and process applications if there are genuine and valid reasons.
- Special Consideration applications must be made after the exam has taken place and cannot be made in advance. You will need to complete and submit an application form, which is available from the Student Hub.
- Please note if you wish to advertise anything around College you must bring your poster to the Student Hub to be checked, approved and stamped
- You must also remember to take these down after the event/when no longer relevant
Considering a career in the Royal Navy?
- Find out about the Royal Navy Reserves
- Attend a meeting on:
- Tuesday 13th May
- @ 2.00pm
- In the Conference room (front of College next to Reception)
Financial help for students from Binsted
- The Binsted Recreational Trust is a grant-giving trust set up to offer financial help, among other areas, to students who either live in Binsted or attended Binsted Primary School.
- The trust will consider making grants for any educational or sporting venture including applications for travel and/or other support in the education and sporting area. You would be expected to raise half of the funds required and they would consider matching this.
- Please contact one of the Trustees for further information:
- Nick Carter firstname.lastname@example.org 01420 472861
- David Sinclair email@example.com 01420 23262
- Kathy Ogilvie Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org 01420 23125
- Do you have a spare room in your home?
- Do you live within 45 minutes of Alton College by public transport or on one of Alton College’s SimplyGo Bus routes?
- Could you offer one of our International Students a home from home experience?
- We are looking for friendly local families or individuals to join our register of Homestay Accommodation providers.
- For our International Students, Homestay Accommodation forms a key element of experiencing life in England while they study for their A levels. As well as providing some extra income for the hosts, offering Homestay Accommodation can also be a rewarding and enriching experience.
- Find out more about our Homestay scheme here - http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/hostfamily
Easter Service with the College Chaplain
- All students are invited to a short informal Easter service on the last Wednesday of term 2nd April, between 1-2pm (during lunchtime)
- This will be held in the conference room next to the reception area at the front of college.
- There will be a short reflection and shared communion for those who want it – but feel free to come and go as you please.
- Hadley - Alton College Chaplain.
End of Term Holidays
- Last day of Spring Term
- Friday 4th April @ 4.30
- Start of Summer Term
- Tuesday 22nd April @ 8.50am
For First Years
Personal Statement Presentations
- We have arranged for representatives from universities to provide talks on Personal Statements Even if you are not considering going to university you will still need to have a Personal Statement
- The talks have been arranged as follows and will be held in the Martin Read Hall:-
- All ‘A’ PLD groups Thu 24th April @ 12.45pm
- All ‘F’ PLD groups Thu 1st May @ 12.45pm
- All ‘N’ PLD groups Thu 15th May @ 12.45pm
- These are compulsory for all first year students to attend, along with their tutors
- 'Interested in working in media, publishing, English or graphics? Enjoy writing or designing? How about running the college magazine next year?
- If so, come along to Room on Monday 31st March, the week before half term, to find out about taking charge of The Alternative next September. You could be the next Editor and be given your own budget for printing and advertising as well as control of the content and recruit of your own Editorial team. Or if you're just interested in contributing or working on the editorial team, come along too.
- So: come to Room 713 at 1.30pm on Monday 31st March to find out more and whether it's your kind of thing!'
For Second Years
Student Finance & NHS Bursaries
- If you are going to university this year to do an NHS funded course.......
- Remember that as well as completing a Student Finance application through www.gov.uk/studentfinance
- You must also complete an NHS Bursary application through http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx
Gap Year Safety App
- Safer Travel App is free to download and a great tool for anyone who is thinking of travel.
- Downloadable from:
- Direct link from Website http://www.carolinesrainbowfoundation.org/safer-travel-app
- App store link https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/safer-travel/id715682655?ls=1&mt=8
- Or type 'Safer Travel' or 'Caroline's Rainbow Foundation' in to the App store it will come up. Its free to download and available on iPhone and iPad
- What's related: