College Notices: w/c 25th February 2013
by Kim small.
- The Student Hub will be closing early at 4pm on Tuesday 26th Feb.
Reflection Week – next week!
- The March Review period is about to start and ‘Student Reflections’ will be open on INSIGHT from Mon 4th to Fri 8th Mar.
- You will be doing some work in lessons helping you to reflect on how you are doing and what else you might need to do – please use this to think about your progress and answer the questions as thoroughly as you can.
- Help us to help you
Apprenticeships Talk – this is aimed at second years, but first year students are welcome to attend
- Apprenticeships are a great opportunity to gain qualifications and workplace experience at the same time. They involve working for an employer while studying for a qualification part-time with a training provider or college.
- Come along to the Martin Read Hall on Tuesday 5th March at 1pm to learn about the different types of apprenticeships available and how to search for them.
- There are over 200 types of apprenticeships in a huge range of industry sectors, lots of opportunities, especially in the areas of – Business, IT, Engineering, Project Management
- Even if you have already applied to university it is worth considering apprenticeships–they will often sponsor you through a foundation degree, degree or professional qualification.
Volunteer Student Bloggers Wanted
- The Fundraising Team for the Engineering and Design Technology Centre are looking for savvy students with a juicy journalistic passion!
- 2 volunteer posts available
- Great opportunity with a great reward which will look amazing on your journo CV
- Apply by emailing a blog of 250 words and a photo of the current building site to Buildingfutures@altoncollege.ac.uk
- Closing date: 28th Feb 2013 @ 4pm
- Email us if you need more information
- Becky & Frances – Building Futures Fundraising Team
- Are you interested in teaching as a career? Do you like to chat? Would you like to help adults who are learning to speak English?
- Volunteer assistant teachers needed for English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and Citizenship class at Alton College on Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9pm.
- If you are interested, please contact Cathrin Brockhaus: Cathrin.Brockhaus@altoncollege.ac.uk
Comic Relief Fashion Show
- Interested in fashion design or styling?
- The Student Union is staging a fashion show for Comic Relief on March 15th
- We need teams of designers/stylists to compete in a Gok style fun fashion show
- The challenge – to create six different looks
- Even more of a challenge – create one look from the College Comic Relief jumble sale
- A huge challenge – design for unique models (students have asked teachers to rise to this challenge!)
- For more information contact Chloe Freemantle or Harriet Robins by email
Comic Relief Fundraiser
- The Student Union will be holding a jumble sale on Friday 15th March
- Bag up your clothes and bring in your unwanted clothes and shoes to the Hub
- All proceeds will go to Comic Relief
- See Moodle for more details
Surrey UCAS Convention – For First Years
- Mon 18th / Tue 19th March
- 200 places available on each day
- Over 100 uni's present to give info, advice and guidance on your future plans.
- This is a really excellent opportunity to kick start your uni research.
- Book your place via the online store - £3.50 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub
PLD Core - For First Years
- w/c 25th Feb - Career/Uni/Apprenticeship research
- w/c 4th Mar - Complete subject review/reflections on Insight
Student Finance Workshops – For Second Years
- Places still available at the first work shop being held on:
- Friday 1st March from 10am-2pm – Room 403
- You don’t need to wait until you’ve accepted a place to apply for student finance.
- Experts from the University of Portsmouth will be visiting to help you with your application (no matter which universities you have applied to)
- Please sign up for a place at the Student Hub
- Issue 2 of The Alternative, the Alton College magazine, written, designed and edited by you, the college students, is now live. To read articles, reviews, cartoons and more visit www.altonalternative.co.uk
- To keep The Alternative vibrant, we want a range of writers from all areas of the college. If you feel you’ve something to say and want to share it with a wider audience then email the editor, Robert Eyers at email@example.com or follow the link on the website.
- The deadline for the Issue 3 is Friday 15th March (the Ides of March!)
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception including the Pill, Patch, Injection, Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy testing, Chlamydia Screening and Condoms
- Also advice on Coil and Implant and any other issues
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504 – 505 in the Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
- What's related: