College Notices: w/c 29th April 2013
by Kim Small.
FOR ALL STUDENTS:
Alton College ID Cards:
- This is a reminder that you MUST have your Alton College ID card with you AT ALL TIMES when in College.
- As well as being your photocopy card, library card, exam and bus ID, your ID card allows any member of staff to quickly check that you are a current Alton College student.
- Please REMEMBER that you should not invite friends on site if they are not current AC students - they will not be insured to be on the premises. All visitors must have an official meeting and sign in at Reception/Student Hub.
- You should also not be visiting friends in other Colleges unless authorised to do so.
- ALL students MUST read the ‘Important Dates for Students’ document on Moodle under Student Resources
- Link: http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?inpopup=true&id=72606
- Issue 3 of The Alternative, the Alton College magazine, written, designed and edited by you, the College students, is now live.
- To read articles, reviews, cartoons and more visit www.altonalternative.co.uk
Modern Languages – top floor of Austen Building
- Top floor Austen Modern Language exams
- From Monday 29 April onwards
- Study Area and male toilets closed.
- Students should use the stairs at the DLC end of the building for rooms 778 and 779, not the main central stairs.
- Please be quiet in the main stairwell and on the top floor and at all times respect the signs asking for silence.
- Speaking exams often run across break and lunchtime. If there is no exam taking place we will take down the signs. Thanks for your support!
- During the warmer weather, students are reminded to wear appropriate clothing whilst at College – beach wear is not suitable!
- Enjoy the sun but take care – use SUNSCREEN, COVER UP or SIT IN the SHADE.
- Note also that using skateboards on the College site is not permitted.
- Apprenticeship Scheme - Aon Hewitt (Farnborough)
- Aon Hewitt will be visiting College on Tue 7th May to talk to students about the scheme. Please come along to the Martin Read Hall at 1pm – 1.30pm to find out more
- Start : September 2013
- Salary : £16,000 pa + benefits
- Requirements : 280 UCAS points
- This is mainly aimed at second year students because the job starts this September, however schemes like this are run most years so first years are welcome to come along and find out more.
Stress Buster Event
- Stressed about exams?
- Overloaded with course work?
- Having a hard time with revision?
- Come along to the SU ‘Drumming for Health’ and have a go!
- Friday 3rd May
- 12 – 2pm
- Bowling Green (or Martin Read Hall if wet)
Exam Stress getting you down?
- Exam Stress Busting workshops:
- Learn and practice simple techniques to help you to remain calm and so do your best
- Tue 30th April 12.40- 1.30pm room 32
- Thu 9th May 12.40- 1.30pm room 32
- Run by Lizzy Le Fort and Jan Symes
Sports Teams Photos 2013
- If you have represented the college this year in any of the competitive sports teams then this applies to you......
- Official team photos will be taking place THIS Friday 3rd May in the Sports Hall. Please turn up 15 minutes before your team photo (kit will be provided – please wear indoor trainers):
- 1:00pm 1st team Football
- 1:05pm 2nd team Football
- 1:10pm Hockey
- 1:15pm Basketball boys
- 1:20pm Basketball girls
- 1:25pm Rugby
- 1:30pm Netball
- 1:35pm Tennis
- 1:40pm Cricket
Solent Careers Coach
- The Solent Career Coach will be visiting College on:-
- Thursday 9th May from 11am-2pm in the Austen Building car park
- Visit the coach and speak with skilled advisors who will help you look at progression options with advice on * Specific jobs * Education and training * Potential earnings * Regional job information
- Make use of this valuable opportunity and sign up for a slot at the Student Hub
Free NHS Stop Smoking Support (for students, parents and staff)
- The NHS Quit4Life Stop Smoking Service offers a free drop-in clinic with up to eight weeks Nicotine Replacement Therapy and regular weekly support. No appointment necessary.
- The clinic runs at:
- Alton Cardiac Rehab Centre, Chawton Park Road, Alton, GU34 1RQ
- Every Wednesday evening from 6.30pm to 7.30pm
- Support is also available at Boots The Pharmacy – 52 High St, Alton, GU34 1ET
- Enter your postcode at http://www.quit4life.nhs.uk to find your most convenient clinic!
- If you can’t make a clinic, telephone support is also available offering access to medication and full support.
- Text: QUIT to 60123 / Call: 0845 602 4663
Drama and Theatre Studies
- Exciting and varied programme of AS Shows…
- Thursday 9th & Friday 10th May
- Please Note: entry to each show is by ticket only!
- Tickets available – FREE OF CHARGE – from the on-line store
- Web Link:
FOR FIRST YEARS:
Work Experience Briefing
- All Level 3 students attending Work Experience in May must attend the following meeting:
- Thursday 2nd May @ 1pm in the Martin Read Hall
- w/c 29 th April & 6 th May
- Personal Statements – All students • Important, guidance – Introduction Session
- w/c 13 th & 20 th May
- Personal Statements continued • Update personal CV if needed
Ski Trip 2014
- 14-22nd Feb 2014 – Leysin , Switzerland • Transfer by luxury coach from College to Resort • 6 nights accommodation • Equipment hire for 6 days • Ski passes for 6 days • 6 hour daily lessons with instructors • Travel and medical insurance
- Book now on the online store - http://store.altoncollege.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?modid=1&prodid=0&deptid=0&compid=1&prodvarid=121&catid=28 or contact Lauren Harris-Jones in room 776 ( email@example.com )
FOR SECOND YEARS:
UCAS – Replying to offers
Check your reply date……….
- Did you receive all your uni decision by 31 March?
- Yes - Your reply deadline will be 9th May
- No – If you receive all your decisions by 10th May
- Your reply deadline will be 7th June
- Still unsure – check UCAS track - your reply date will be displayed here
- What's related: