College Notices: w/c 2nd December 2013
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Reminder: Fri 24th Jan to Fri 31st Jan is the formal College Assessment Period
- Revision plans will be available to download from Moodle - watch out for posts
- Don’t leave revision to the last minute!
College Governor Visits
- Governors will be visiting the College during this week and will be sitting in lessons and communal areas and will be available to speak to staff and students.
Office 365 Upgrade for Student Accounts
- Starting on Tuesday 3rd December and taking approximately 2 days to complete, Microsoft will be upgrading our Office 365 service.
- If you happen to be checking your email with the Outlook Web App when your email account is updated, you may be prompted to sign-out and sign back in. Apart from that there should be no interruption to the service.
- After the upgrade, you will notice some changes to the Outlook Web App. See here for more details: Learn about the changes to the Outlook Web App
The Alternative Magazine
- 'Issue #1 of The Alternative, Alton College's student-run magazine, is out now! You can look at a copy in the LRC and they're also being distributed randomly around college. Go to www.altonalternative.co.uk for more!'
Parents Consultation Evenings
- Appointments may be booked for 5th or 10th December.
- If you have any problems booking a time please contact the relevant subject teacher.
- Please remember to only book with one teacher where a single subject is taught by two teachers.
- Further information can be found on the Parents pages of the College website under ‘Keeping you Informed – link: http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/node/2361
Charity Hockey Tournament
- Monday 9th Dec
- Come along to the Sports Hall at 11.25am and participate in a charity hockey event in support of Whizz-Kidz
- Whizz-Kids provides disabled children with the essential wheelchairs and other mobility equipment they need to lead fun and active childhoods
- £1 entry per team
- Join as a team of 4
- Contact: email@example.com about your team and to collect your consent form
Whizz-kidz Multi-Sports Challenge
- ‘Move a child’s life forward’
- Wednesday 11th December @ 11.25am in the Sports Hall
- Help raise money for a wheelchair today
- Win a Christmas size tin of celebrations
- Many disabled young children need your help to live a better qualify of life
- Challenge your self against your peers to see who is the best all-round sportsman
- Please give what you can to help make a young child’s life so much easier whilst feeling good about yourself!
- Thursday 12th December
- Alton College Sports Hall
- 3 attempts = 50p
- Cash prize to be won
- Extra information email Jack Bilsland at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All money raised will go to Whizz-Kidz charity fund
- ‘We give disabled kids the equipment, support and life skills they need to be just like any other kid’
Sexual Health Clinic
- There will be NO Sexual Health Clinic at College on Friday 6th December
- To find out your nearest clinic:
County Cross-Country Championships
- Saturday 18th January 2014
- at Fleming Park, Eastleigh
- representing Aldershot & District
- Selection occurs here for the Inter Counties event and then on to English Schools
- If you would like to compete, please email Rupert (up in the Gym) on email@example.com
Alton College Theatre Company presents ‘Canvas’ , a comedy by Michael Wynne
- Tue 17 / Wed 18 & Thu 19 DEC @ 7.30pm Berkoff Theatre
- This brilliant comedy addresses the precarious delights of ‘camping’ for people in 2013...who maybe prefer their creature comforts to what mother nature has to offer!.....Happy ‘glamping’!
- To book click: http://www.thelittleboxoffice.co/BPAC/event/view/6561 Bookable through the 'COMMUNITY' link on the College website.
- Give yourself a real treat this Christmas...this wonderful comedy is a delight for all - book now!
- Forward this link to all your network of friends, family etc....
For First Years
Exam Access Arangements
- For those who have not yet made an appointment
- If you qualified for access arrangements such as extra time for your GCSE exams, you will need an update assessment at college in order for these arrangements to continue.
- Please call in to room 61 or room 62 in the Foulkes Building to book an assessment with Lizzy or Judy. The best time to call in is during one of your free periods.
- Are you interested in science, technology, engineering, maths (STEM) or related subjects?
- Do you want to find out more re: subjects, disciplines, careers?
- Do you want to gain experience of university life & the working world?
- Headstart is a fantastic opportunity giving you the chance to explore or reaffirm your options ahead of UCAS applications and ask questions you might not have had a chance to do. Make some really good friends along the way. Oh, and they look good on your CV or personal statement too.
- The courses are residential, at a university, over 4 or 5 days. There is a fee (usually £330) to cover accommodation, meals and activities, but you may be able to get help with this.
- For more information see www.headstartcourses.org.uk. Deadline for applications is 20th December if you want top priority
For Second Years
UCAS – missed the College deadline?
- Over 550 UCAS applications were submitted by the College deadline – well done to everyone that met the deadline!
- If you have recently decided that you would like to apply to university, or missed the deadline for whatever reason, please come to the Student Hub as soon as possible to discuss how to proceed
Exams - resitting units
- As you know re-sit opportunities are only available for June 2014.
- If you want to re-sit an exam that you took here last year you need to:
- Go to on-line store
- Select subject
- Input unit and personal details
- Make payment
- Recommended DEADLINE: 20th December 2013
(Edited by Chris Grant - original submission Monday, 2 December 2013, 11:27 AM)
(Edited by Chris Grant - original submission Tuesday, 3 December 2013, 08:50 AM)
- What's related: