College Notices: w/c 2nd February 2015
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Summer Re-sits Reminder
- The deadline to make your summer re-sit application is Tuesday 10th February, midday 12:00pm. Applications are to be made through the online store.
- Coursework and MFL oral exam re-sits cannot be made through the online store. You will need to complete a paper application, which you can request from the Student Hub desk.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- These caused a fire alarm in College recently, disrupting the day for staff and students
- Please remember that E-cigarettes come under the same guidelines as tobacco in College:
- Only to be used in the designated smoking areas on campus
- If used elsewhere the Commitment and Misconduct Policy will be used
Alton College Students’ Union Election Day
- Friday 13th February
- Vote online on the day from 8am-3.30pm use Moodle SU page to find the candidates for each role
- Meet the candidates on Election Day at the Hustings
- in the Martin Read Hall at 1pm
- It’s YOUR Student Union
Students standing this year:
- President: Tom Chapman or Lydia Playle
- Secretary: Karla Welch (currently uncontested)
- Equalities and Diversity Officer: Max Ottway, Shannon Jones & Liv Hall, Becky Horton
- Press/Marketing Officer: Ali Bayliss or Isabella Chalmers-Arnold (?)
- Treasurer: Alex Bristow, Ali Bayliss (?), Claudia Kirby (?)
- NUS Officer: Prabhakshavel Venkatasubramaniam (uncontested)
- Charities Officer: Frejya Barnard (uncontested)
- Environment Officer: no applicants
- It’s not too late to stand for a position in the SU, please speak to your tutor and email Jo Gardner if you are interested and for more information.
Army Careers Service
- Representatives from the Army Careers Service will be in College on:
- Tuesday 24th February
- From 12-2pm in the Refectory
- No need to book an appointment – just turn up between the above times to discuss opportunities available for a career in the Army
Make sure you are registered to VOTE
- If you are 17+ you must register to vote in order to have the option to take part in future elections
- You will need your NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER (NI#)
- Put your NI# on your mobile phone this week
- You also need your home POSTCODE
- We will be running registration sessions in the LRC over coming weeks
Women’s Touch Rugby
- Looking for a fun way to keep fit and active?
- Touch Rugby is a great way to do this
- It is rugby without the contact and an emphasis on running, speed, agility and skills
- Do not worry if you have never played before – it is really easy to pick up!
- If you are interested then come along to an introductory session on Thursday 12th Feb at 1.15pm in the Sports Hall
- Bring indoor trainers and suitable sports clothing
Wessex Arts Café Bar
- Please note:
- No access to Wessex Arts Café Bar on:
- Friday 6th February: College is hosting Conference on A Level Reforms
- Tuesday 10th February: Reception for Chinese partner school
Half Term Holiday
- Lessons finish at 4.30pm on Friday 13th February for the Half Term break
- Lessons start again at 8.50am on Monday 23rd February
DISCOUNT on comedy tickets for students, their families and staff!
- Our monthly Comedy Club by Wessex Arts with Ministry Comedy @altoncollege is BACK on Friday 6 February ! Bar opens 7pm, stand up starts 8.30pm. James Alderson fresh from supporting Jo Brand and Eddie Izzard headlines.
- Please use code: familyandfriends at the checkout. Book tickets here: http://tickets.wessexarts.co.uk/Sales/Whats-On/Comedy/February-Comedy-Club/Ticket
Insight Evening with BDO
- 19th February 2015
- BDO are hosting an Insight Evening aimed at yr12/13 students and their parents who want to find out more about becoming an chartered accountant without going to University.
- At BDO's Guildford office between 6.15pm-8pm.
- To apply to attend BDO's Insight Evening applicants must have or be on track for:
- 280 UCAS points from 3 A Levels excluding General Studies;
- Grade B or above at GCSE in Maths & English.
- For more information and to book a place visit:
University of Portsmouth ‘Science at work in Health’ event
- ‘Science at Work in Health’ event
- Thursday 12th March 2015
- @ University of Portsmouth
- Morning or afternoon sessions available in the following areas: Health Science and Social Care * Pharmacy * Medical Imaging
- Places limited on a first come, first served basis
- To find out more and to book go to: http://www.port.ac.uk/year12conferencebooking
For Students on a 1 year course
- Completed Progression Forms MUST be returned to the Student Hub by Friday 13th February
For Students in the first year of a 2 year course
‘After Alton’ Presentations
- Compulsory presentations providing information to students on options available after studying at Alton in the Martin Read Hall on:
- ‘A’ Directorate – Thu 5th Feb @ 12.40pm
- ‘F’ Directorate – Thu 5th Feb @ 1.15pm
- ‘N’ Directorate – Thu 12th Feb @ 12.40pm
- All students must attend with their tutors
- If you are unable to attend on your assigned day please attend on the alternative date.
WelcomeFest 2014 What Did You Think?
- We're starting to plan our summer events and we really need first year's help!
- Thursday 5th February in PLD the Student Union and friends will be visiting 'N' groups to ask:
- How did you find WelcomeFest 2014?
- What were your favourite stand-out parts?
- What could we have done better to improve the day?
- Your comments will help us shape the day this year so please be honest!
- Thank you for your help in advance
Higher Education Information Evening for parents
- Places available for Thursday 5th Feb @ 6.30pm – Sports Hall
- Parents to book via the online store, max 2 seats per family – FREE event (for parents only – students will be shown presentations during PLD)
- Book through the online store – search for Information Evening
Are you interested in doing an Extended Project?
- Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) meeting
- Tuesday 10th February @ 1pm in Martin Read Hall
- EPQ is an additional qualification which carries half the UCAS points of a full A level
- The EPQ enables students to extend their level 3 studies in a direction of their own choice. It can take the form of a written essay, or the construction of practical artefact and a written report. You will be required to research your project independently and you will need to show initiative and commitment. Managing your extra workload and meeting deadlines will be your responsibility. You will work with a supervisor.
- If you are interested in doing EPQ and have commitment grade 1 for all of your current subjects, come along and find out more
Oxford & Cambridge 2016 Entry
- Thursday 26th February
- @ 1pm - Martin Read Hall
- Meeting for FIRST YEAR STUDENTS interested in applying to Oxford or Cambridge for entry in 2016. This talk will be presented by staff from the University of Oxford.
- Due to limited seating, places must be booked through the online store – click here
- Information about:
- The application process
- What Oxbridge are looking for in a student
- What you can expect from life at Oxford or Cambridge
- plus more
For Students in the second year of a 2 year course:
Student Finance for University
- For students who have completed university applications......
- Applications for Student Finance are now open on the www.gov.uk/studentfinance website
- Please pick up copies of the Student Finance leaflets from your tutor
- You don’t need to wait until you’ve accepted a place to apply for student finance – apply using your first choice of university – this can be changed later if need be
Next Steps Talk
- Tue 3rd Feb @ 12.50pm – Martin Read Hall
- Useful information for ALL students who have completed UCAS applications
- Presented by University of Winchester but applicable for any course at any university
- Book your place through the online store
- If you haven’t applied to university, please collect a Progression Form from your tutor today
- Forms need to be completed and handed in at the Student Hub by half term
- Completing these forms will enable us to help you with your plans
- What's related: