College Notices: w/c 2nd March 2015
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- We have received a number of complaints about cars leaving the College car park and not stopping at the junction with Alexandra Road. A serious accident involving 2 children cycling home from school was narrowly avoided by cars disregarding this road junction.
- Traffic on Alexandra Road has the right of way
- Please do not drive out onto Alexandra Road without checking it is safe to do so.
- Students are reminded that a valid ‘Parking Permit’ is required to use the College car park at all times. Permits need to be purchased through the online store and collected from the Student Hub.
- The parking permit allows student vehicles to enter the car park, find an empty marked-space and park. Alternative parking arrangements should be made by the student when the car park is full.
- Access to the car park will be denied to any student vehicle without a valid parking permit.
- Driving instructors should NOT wait for students outside front reception of College – this causes disruption for buses etc.
- Reception/staff will ask them to move on if they do.
- When booking driving lessons, please arrange for your driving instructor to collect/drop off in the Edward Road car park
Exam Access Arrangements
- This is the final reminder for all students who had an exam arrangement at school, such as extra time, a reader, a scribe, use of word processor etc., to book up with Learning Support for an update assessment. Your arrangement from school has run out and unless you have an update assessment with us, you will not have it for the summer exams. This must be done this term.
- Send Lizzy Le Fort an email (Elizabeth.LeFort@altoncollege.ac.uk) to make a booking or come along to Learning Support, which is along the corridor behind reception and book it in person.
General Election 2015 – Influence your future…..
- Prior to every General Election, the College holds a Hustings for East Hampshire Prospective Parliamentary Candidates to inform and encourage students to take part in the democratic process.
- Students are invited to attend the General Election Hustings in the Martin Read Hall on Tuesday 21st April from 1.00 – 2.00. The Prospective Parliamentary Candidates from the following parties will be attending:
- Damian Hinds Conservative Party
- Peter Bisset Green Party
- Alex Wilks Labour Party
- Richard Robinson Liberal Democrats
- Peter Baillie UKIP
- Each PPC will address the audience for 5 minutes followed by a ‘Question Time’ format.
- Please submit your questions to the Prospective Parliamentary Candidates to email@example.com by Friday 20th March.
- The Hustings will be chaired by the out-going president of the Alton College Students’ Union and promises to be a lively debate.
Alton College Expedition: Greek Islands – 8th to 22nd July 2015
- Learn to Dive!
- Marine and terrestrial research projects.
- Ecology course and terrestrial biodiversity surveys
- Contact: Paul Williams / Lesley Newell / Jan Symes for more info
- Operation Wallacea – Greece 2015 www.opwall.com
- Koosa Kids will be in College on
- Mon 9th March in the 12-2pm in the Refectory
- Just pop along – no appointment necessary
- Koosa Kids provide fun, active childcare for children 4-13yrs in School Holidays, After School Clubs and Breakfast Clubs and are actively recruiting for Easter/Half Term/Summer Holidays
- Full training will be provided + excellent rates of pay
- Particularly good for students on Childcare and Sport courses
- Will look great on your CVs/Personal Statements
Parent Consultation Evenings
- 17th & 26th March
- The objective of these evenings is to allow an opportunity for parents to talk with teachers where there is some area of concern regarding their son or daughter’s progress, or some improvement is required in order for the student to meet their target grade(s) in the summer.
- Should you require an appointment at one of the Consultation Evenings, having checked your son/daughter’s progress on Insight, please follow the link on your son/daughter’s Insight page to our online booking system.
- Book appointments from 9am on Friday 6th March
Congratulations to the new SU Exec.
Thanks to all who took part and all who voted
President: Tom Chapman
Vice President: Tallulah Small
Treasurer: Alex Bristow
Environment Officer: Hannah Hopwood
Charities Officer: Freyja Barnard & Helen Blackbourn
Equality, Welfare & Diversity Officer: Shannon Jones & Liv Hall
Marketing Officer: Ali Bayliss & Isabella Chalmers-Arnold
Secretary: Karla Welch
NUS Officer: Prabhakshavel Venkatasubramaniam
- Alton College are registered with this great on-line tool to help guide you in your research for careers and HE:
- Log on linking to Alton College, record your details to be able to access again and again, complete a short questionnaire, explore results and suggestions….it really is a great tool to help your careers and HE research… have a go before next weeks PLD…
For 1st year students on a 2 year course:
For ALL students going on the Edward Thomas Poetry Tour
- A meeting will be held for all students going on the Edward Thomas Poetry Tour (26-27th March) on:
- Thursday 12th March @ 1.15pm in room 705
- It is COMPULSORY that everyone going on the trip attends.
Surrey UCAS Convention
- Places currently available on :-
- Monday 16th March – Coach 2
- Tuesday 17th March – Coach 2
- Both trips depart at 9.15am and return by 1pm
- Book via the online store - £5 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub as a questionnaire needs to be completed by parents via the online booking
- BOOKING will close Tuesday 10th March at midnight
Compulsory ‘Personal Statement’ presentations
- We have arranged for representatives from universities to provide talks on Personal Statements
- Even if you are not considering going to university you will still need to have a Personal Statement
- The talks have been arranged as follows and will be held in the Martin Read Hall:-
- All ‘A’ PLD groups Thu 19th March @ 12.50pm
- All ‘N’ PLD groups Thu 26th March @ 12.50pm
- All ‘F’ PLD groups Thu 2nd April @ 12.50pm
- These are compulsory for all first year students to attend, along with their tutors
For second year students:
Register to vote
- Make sure you are registered to vote – you can do this if you are 17 or 18 years of age…
- Make sure you have your home postcode and your National Insurance Number saved on your phone.
- Watch this space: next week LRC will be helping with registration.
- What's related: