College Notices: w/c 31st March 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Lions Club Volunteering Award
- If you have previously received an invitation to attend the Lions Club Volunteering Award – this is to remind you that it will be taking place on Tuesday 1st April at 1pm in the Conference Room (front of College next to College Reception)
- Volunteering Drop-In
- There will be no volunteer drop-in on Tuesday 1st April. Information on the Lions Club Awards and Volunteer Registrations forms can be found on Moodle or picked up in the Student Hub. These can be emailed to me or dropped into the Student Hub.
- Helen Freeston–0300 500 8085 / email@example.com
- All students are invited to a short informal Easter service
- On 2nd April, starting at 1.10pm for about 30 mins.
- Please note there has had to be a room change so it will now be held in the Austen building room 707.
- There will be a short reflection and shared communion at the end for those who want it – but feel free to come and go as you please.
- This is open to all faiths and to those exploring the idea of the spiritual. No pressure but a time for reflection.
- Reverend Hadley Bennet - Alton College Chaplain.
- Please make the most of Easter to revise and complete coursework
- A revision timetable, tracker sheet and other useful information can be found on Moodle under Student Resources/Learning Resources/Revision – this will also be available on the Parents pages of the Alton College website shortly
- Subject specific guidance is also available on the Moodle subject areas
Applied or considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge or Competitive Courses at University?
- Thursday 3rd April
- Attend a meeting with former Alton College students who are currently studying at Oxford and Cambridge
- DLC (room 710 Austen Building) @ 1pm
Applied or considering studying Maths at University?
- Thursday 3rd April
- Meet with former Alton College students already studying Mathematics at University
- Room 721 (Austen Building) @ 1.30pm
Important Dates/Events for Students
- Please make sure that you all read the ‘Important Dates/Events for Students’ information on Moodle – under Student Resources / Information and Policies
- Link: http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=85620
Exams – Special Consideration
- It may be possible for you to apply for Special Consideration if you feel your performance was affected during an exam due to circumstances out of your control. The Exams Officer will only support and process applications if there are genuine and valid reasons.
- Special Consideration applications must be made after the exam has taken place and cannot be made in advance. You will need to complete and submit an application form, which is available from the Student Hub.
End of Term Holidays
- Last day of Spring Term
- Friday 4th April @ 4.30
- Start of Summer Term
- Tuesday 22nd April @ 8.50am
For First Years:
Your Year 2 Choices
- Please visit Insight to select your Year 2 programme
- BTEC 90-Credit/Extended Diploma students excluded (any issues talk to your tutor)
- Students should take 3 subjects to A2
- We recommend all lessons are attended to the end of the Summer Term in case results change your mind
- See handout from your tutor for further info (this will be placed in PLD pigeon holes in time for Thursday’s PLD)
Getting into Medical School
- UCL, London – 5th April 2014
- Covers everything you need to get in:
- Medicine & NHS: The Career
- Personal Statements/UCAS
- UKCAT/BMAT/Work Experience
- Medical interviews by panelists
- Run by Top University Doctors
- Tickets £75
- Please go to: www.aspire2medicine.co.uk for further information
How Accessible is University?
- Are you a student with a Disability/Special Educational Need, i.e. Specific Learning Differences (e.g.dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADD); or chronic medical conditions (e.g. asthma, epilepsy, depression, anxiety, etc.); or have mobility or dexterity impairments and/or sensory impairments?
- SOAS, University of London is hosting a FREE event for students with disabilities. You do not need to be applying to SOAS, this event is open to all students with disabilities and their parents.
- Tuesday 15th April 2014 -10am to 4.30pm
- Contact Deb Viney - firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place
- SOAS (the School of Oriental & African Studies), University of London, Thornhaugh Street,Russell Square,WC1H 0XG
Leysin Ski Trip 2015
- Buy your deposit now on the online store
- Deposit price £220
Personal Statement Presentations
- We have arranged for representatives from universities to provide talks on Personal Statements Even if you are not considering going to university you will still need to have a Personal Statement
- The talks have been arranged as follows and will be held in the Martin Read Hall:-
- All ‘A’ PLD groups Thu 24th April @ 12.45pm
- All ‘F’ PLD groups Thu 1st May @ 12.45pm
- All ‘N’ PLD groups Thu 15th May @ 12.45pm
- These are compulsory for all first year students to attend, along with their tutors
For Second Years:
Replying to Uni Offers
- If you are at the stage of replying to your university offers, please remember to give this careful thought
- Your firm acceptance is your first choice – if your firm choice is a conditional offer you should accept another offer as an insurance choice
- We strongly advise that you select an insurance offer that is safe and within your current working at grades
- Your insurance must ask for lower grades than your firm
How and when to reply to offers:
- Use Track to reply to your offers (https://track.ucas.com/)
- Your reply date will be displayed in Track and is based on when the last decision is received from your choices so it may be different to other people.
- Last Decision by: 31Mar14 - Your Reply Date: 07May14
- Last Decision by: 08May14 - Your Reply Date: 05Jun14
- If you've used five choices you may be able to use Extra if:
- you've received decisions from all five universities and colleges and you weren't accepted or you decided to decline any offers you received
- You’ll then see the ‘Add an Extra choice’ button in Track
- If you didn't use five choices you can add more in Track:
- providing it's before 30 June and you've not accepted or declined your offers
- What's related: