College Notices: w/c 3rd February 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
E-Cigarettes & Smoking
- Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking areas in College in the front car park and the Austen car park.
- This includes e-cigarettes
- DO NOT smoke around the College entrances.
We are installing new photocopiers during half term – please use up your print credit
- Over half term we are replacing all college photocopiers. Part of this process also requires that we replace the management system that stores your printing credit. From today and until you return after half term, please only top-up your account with essential credit. We won’t be able to transfer your existing balance to the new system. If you have a considerable amount of credit that you think you won’t spend before half term, please raise a Student Hub Ticket and we will help. A small amount of student credit will be added to your account so that you can print immediately after half term without needing to top up.
- A new money loader will be available on the ground floor of the LRC, which will accept coins and notes (£5 and £10). Using the new loader is no different - just swipe your ID card and insert money.
- What do you need to do now? Use up your existing print credit and only top-up with credit that you will use before half term.
Football Coaching Course
- Anyone interested in doing a level 1 Football Coaching Course based at Alton College. The cost would be £120.
- The dates would be Mon 3rd, Wed 5th, Sat 8th, Mon 10th, Wed 12th and Sat 15th March.
- If you are interested please contact Dean Gillatt in the Sports Department A.S.A.P
Alton Youth Event & Valentine’s Gig
- Friday 14 Feb - Alton Community Centre
- FREE Event
- 4.30pm-6.30pm - Activities, inflatables, sports clubs, pampering, Health, information and guidance, FREE Pizza and much more
- 6.30pm–10.00pm - Live Gig featuring local bands Under Thunder, Ultrasonic and other local bands from Alton College
- Age groups: 11-19yrs (to 25yrs with disability)
- On Tuesday 4th February and Thursday 6th February Disability Challengers will be holding a recruitment drive from 11.00 to 1.00 in the College Refectory.
- They are looking to employ people to work on Saturdays with disabled children.
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception – Pill & Condoms & Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504–505 Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
For First Year Students
- Higher Education Information Evening for Parents
- Thursday 6th February
- @ 7pm in the Sports Hall
- Please book places through the online store – search for Information Evening
- Car parking - Edward Road
After Alton – Central Presentations
- Compulsory presentations providing information to students on options available after studying at Alton in the Martin Read Hall on:
- ‘A’ Directorate – 06Feb @ 12.40pm
- ‘F’ Directorate – 06Feb @ 1.15pm
- ‘N’ Directorate – 13Feb @ 12.40pm
- BTEC Students – 13Feb @ 1.15pm
- All students must attend the appropriate session with their tutors
Interested in Studying Computer Science at University?
- The University of Liverpool are holding a FREE 4-day programme in Computing
- 14-17th April 2014
- Take part in guided, hands-on, sessions where you will learn more about some of the key areas in computer science
During the week, you will also have the chance to produce some software of your own and put this to the test in competition with other students.
- For more information please visit www.csc.liv.ac.uk/summer
Ex Perins Students
- Please can all ex Perins students who studied DT, collect their DT Projects from Perins School before February half term, otherwise they will be destroyed.
- Student Union Elections
- Thursday 13th February
- Look out for further information
For Second Year Students
Next Steps Talk
- Tuesday 4th Feb @ 1pm – Martin Read Hall
- For ALL students who have completed UCAS applications
- If you haven’t already booked a place – please go to the Martin Read Hall at 1pm on Tue 4th Feb
- Find out about:
- Receiving and viewing decisions
- Choosing your Firm and Insurance choices
- UCAS Extra
- Confirmation, Clearing and Adjustment and more
- plus answers to any other questions you may have
Exams – Resitting units
- FINAL DEADLINE: Monday 10th February at 12noon. We will not accept late applications.
- As you know re-sit opportunities are only available for June 2014
- If you want to resit an exam that you took here last year you need to:
- Go to online store
- Select subject
- Input unit and personal details
- Make payment
Considering a Late UCAS application?
- There is still time to apply
- If you didn't send your application to UCAS by 15 January, don't worry! You can still apply until 30 June in the usual way.
- Many universities and colleges are happy to receive your application later, and will consider you for their courses if they still have vacancies. Please check with individual universities and colleges if you're not sure.
- Please follow the instructions on the UCAS Apply Checklist – Moodle / Student Resources / HE
- What's related: