College Notices: w/c 3rd November 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students:
A reminder to all students that they must carry their College ID and be able to produce it when requested by a member of staff.
It is also compulsory for students travelling by Stagecoach bus to produce their College ID with their bus pass to confirm they are students of the College. As from Monday 10th November, Stagecoach drivers will be entitled to ask for payment for any student unable to produce their College ID with their bus pass.
Replacement ID cards cost £2.00 through the online store and are to be collected from the LRC.
Have you completed all of your Student Reflections on Insight?
- This term you will have a 121 with a teacher from each subject
- Your Reflections will be discussed and a summary (with actions) agreed and recorded on Insight
- A Remembrance Service will be held and a two minutes silence observed on the College Green on Tuesday 11th November
- Staff and students who want to attend are to be in place by 10.55am
- Poppies are on sale around College at Reception, the LRC and the Student Hub
Friday 14th November
- Children in Need
- Look out for details!
Join the Alton College Rocket Scientists 2015
- Anyone can be a Rocket Scientist - you just need to be curious
- If you are interested in researching anything which is outside your normal syllabus or maybe being involved in a current research project please look out for the posters for information
- Topics studied in previous years:
- Climate change?
- Is it Real?
- Did we do it?
- Dream Wings for a Boeing Dreamliner
- If you are interested please contact: Your resident scientist Dr Penny Marriott via the college email and come and have a chat sometime. Penny.Marriott@altoncollege.ac.uk
New course at UCA Farnham
- Starting in September 2015
- BA (Hons) Acting and Performance
- Further details on the UCA website http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/ba-acting-performance
Gap Medics Medical Work Placements
- Gap Medics programmes offer the chance to gain real-life hospital work experience
- On top of their existing and successful Tanzania programme, Gap Medics have launched a new programme in Warsaw, Poland. Offering students the chance to experience a clinical setting similar to that in the UK.
- Gain experience in paediatrics, surgery, internal medicine, obsetrics and many more departments
- Available dates:
- Poland: 7-13 Dec 2014 or 14-20th Dec 2014
- Tanzania: 21-27 Dec 2014 or 28Dec-03Jan15
- Visit www.gapmedics.co.uk for further information, phone 0191 603 111or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free HE Opportunities for Students
- Social Mobility Foundation (SMF) is offering free services for students in Year 12
- Receive mentoring, internships, support with HE applications, Skill development
- To access the support students need to meet:
- 5 A grades at GCSE
- Predicted ABB grades at A-level or BTEC equivalents
- Free school meals or first generation to go to university
- Also accepted are children in care, care leavers and students with extenuating personal circumstances
- Students need to apply online by 21st December and the College will be asked to provide a reference
- For more information visit www.socialmobility.org.uk
- Future-talent.com is a free online resource packed with opportunities, information and advice on :
- Sponsored Degrees
- School leaver Programmes
- Visit: www.future-talent.com
TeenTech Free Event
- Are you considering a career in science, technology or engineering?
- How can you choose between all the opportunities available?
- Visit and meet working scientists and engineers from national and local employers and talk to them about their work, career opportunities and see their technology and exhibits
- Wednesday 12th November
- Surrey Sports Park in Guildford
- To book a place at this event email email@example.com
- Your opportunity to comment on your experiences within Alton College
- Link: http://eSurv.org?u=AltonStudentSurveyOct14
- The survey can also be found on Moodle / Student Surveys http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=342
Live Stand up Comedy
- Live Stand Up Comedy in Wessex Arts theatre on campus
- Fri 7 Nov, Fri 5 Dec, 8.30pm start
- To celebrate the launch of the new season of Comedy by WessexArts we are giving all parents and students 25% discount on all tickets. Great night out for you/your friends and families.
- To book students will need to use your Alton College email address and use the discount coupon code 'ACStudent' and parents should use the code 'ACParent'
Saturday Art Club @altoncollege
- Our vibrant and popular after school club will be adding a creative flavour to Saturday mornings!
- Sessions take place from 10-12noon in Wessex Arts and cost £6 per session (£1.50 concessions with Reach Out and Have a Go voucher). Suitable for children from 5-16 years. Book via Online Store http://store.altoncollege.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=1&deptid=181&catid=150&prodvarid=183
- (Wednesday Art Club runs every week 4-5.30pm, more info and booking altoncollege.ac.uk/community)
- Sessions will cover:
- 8 November, Jungle Scene Making / 13 December, Snow Globes
- 10 January, Pot Painting / 28 February, Pinhole Cameras
For First Years:
Action for today:
- Complete reflections on Insight (Subject Review tab)
- Consider Actions that you need to take this half term
For Second Years:
HE Finance Information Evening for Parents
- Thursday 20th November
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 6.30pm
- Information evening on Student Finance for parents of students entering Higher Education in 2015
- Places to be booked through the online store (free of charge)
- The FINAL College deadline for ALL applications is Monday 24th November
- All applications must be checked and signed off at a UCAS clinic by this date
- PLEASE don't leave it until the 24th November to attend a UCAS clinic sign up for a slot at the Student Hub
Personal Statement Advice
- Need help/advice with your Personal statement?
- Slots available up to and including Monday 17th November - sign up at the Student Hub
- Remember - your Tutor will check and sign off your final version of your Personal Statement on Insight
- What's related: