College Notices: w/c 4th March 2013
by Kim small.
- Please be sure to use Insight to record your thoughts on progress in your subjects/units.
- The top of your Insight page will highlight how many reflections you still have outstanding
- Complete reflections by Friday 8th March
- Tuesday 5th March
- Martin Read Hall @ 1pm
- Learn about the different types of apprenticeships available and how to search for them.
- Even if you have already applied to university it is worth considering apprenticeships–they will often sponsor you through a foundation degree, degree or professional qualification.
January Exam Results
- Thursday 7th March
- Available on Insight from 6am
- Deadline for Summer re-sits
- Thursday 14th March at 12pm, midday.
- Applications are to be made via the Online Store and no late applications will be accepted.
- Farnham teenager 'drug death'
- An 18yr old man, tragically died last weekend after taking a suspected psychedelic drug.
- Probably 2C-B or 2C-I - 2 CB is one of the lesser known drugs in the UK but it's out there…
- If you are worried about a friend or yourself - we can support you to get help if you have a problem – speak to your personal tutor or a counsellor
- But you will be expelled if you bring drugs to College…
- See Moodle / Student Resources / Student News http://moodle.altoncollege.ac.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=13477
- For more info http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/2cb-and-2ct-7
UCAS Convention (for first years)
- Mon 18th / Tue 19th March
- Places still available but going fast!
- Book your place via the online store - £3.50 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub
- If you have already booked a place please ensure you collect a Convention Guide from the Student Hub before you go!
Student Finance Workshops (for second years)
- Workshops being held on:
- Fri 8th Mar: 11.30am - 2pm
- Fri 15th Mar: 11.30am - 2pm
- Fri 22nd Mar: 10.00am - 2pm
- Fri 26th Apr: 10.00am - 2pm
- Experts from universities will be available to help you with your application (no matter which universities you have applied to)
- Please sign up for a place at the Student Hub
University offers (for second years)
- Still waiting for offers?
- Don’t worry….. if you applied by the 15th January deadline, universities should aim to make their decisions by 31st March, however they do have up to the 9th May to respond.
- Remember to check UCAS Track regularly for updates on your offers and to respond to any interviews you receive.
Replying to Uni Offers (for second years)
- How and when to reply to offers:
- Use Track to reply to your offers -www.UCAS.com/students/track
- Your reply date will be displayed in Track and is based on when the last decision is received from your choices so it may be different to other people.
- Last Decision by: 31Mar13 / Your Reply Date: 08May13
- Last Decision by: 09May13 / Your Reply Date: 06Jun13
Cookery Club Helpers
- Help needed with the cooking club on Wednesdays after school. Support children with chopping/mixing etc and help with setting up/clearing up. You also get to eat the product at the end!!
- From 2.30 to 4.30/5.00
- For more information please contact Helen Freeston, Volunteer Coordinator – email@example.com or pop in to the Student Hub, Tuesday 10.30am – 2pm.
Comic Relief Jumble Sale
- Need a wardrobe revamp? – Unworn clothes we need you!
- Please bring in items, clothing (no kids wear), shoes, accessories for our Comic Relief Jumble Sale
- Just drop your bags off at the hub and each item will be sold for bargain prices
- on Friday 15th March for Comic Relief
- All funds raised will go to our collection
Help the Student Union decide on a Charity
- Apart from national fundraising activities such as Children in Need and Comic Relief, our fundraising goes to support one national charity and one local charity.
- We have decided to support the local charity Jacks Place which is the youth section of the Naomi House Hospice, providing care for young people with life limiting conditions.
- Help us decide which national (international) charity to support
- ClicSargent a charity which supports young people and children with cancer * or *
- Bollocks to Poverty the youth section of ActionAid
- Please vote in your PLD groups and ask your tutor to simply click on the link Billy.firstname.lastname@example.org with your group decision.
College of Law (for first years)
- Event: Explore Law
- Where: College of Law, London Bloomsbury
- When: Tue 12th March – 16:00 to 18:45
- Take part in an interactive law taster workshop
- Get valuable advice on finding their route into a career in law
- Put their questions to a panel of practising lawyers and current law students
- You can find out more and to book a place visit: www.college-of-law.co.uk/events.
Study in the US
- Undergraduate Study in the US Seminar
- Date: 19 March 2013 / Time: 4:30 - 7 pm
Location: University of Notre Dame London Centre
- Cost: £10 per person
- Learn about the admissions process from experts in the field! This seminar offers an in-depth view of the undergraduate admissions process, providing a step-by-step guide to the application process, admissions tests, choosing the right institution and funding opportunities.
- Book places via:- http://undergraduateseminar19march.eventbrite.com/#
National Science and Engineering Week
- 16th-26th March
- Free activities taking place in Portsmouth to celebrate this year's National Science and Engineering Week.
- Includes: 'Science busking' in Guildhall Square * Tours * Lectures and workshops for all ages * Stargazing with astrophysicists at Gunwharf Quays * Live debate at the Cafe Scientifique
- For dates and more details, please visit: http://www.port.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/events/title,171270,en.html
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
- Summer work in the UK
- 2-6 weeks
- Working with children in a residential environment
- For more info see www.staffordhouse.co.uk
- The Alternative is starting a weekly TV review section.
- We are looking for people who regularly watch a series (drama, comedy or documentary strand) and would be willing to write short weekly opinion pieces.
- If you are interested email Robert Eyers on email@example.com
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception including the Pill, Patch, Injection, Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy testing, Chlamydia Screening and Condoms
- Also advice on Coil and Implant and any other issues
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504 – 505 in the Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
- What's related: