College Notices: w/c 4th November 2013
by Kim Small.
For All Students:
- 4th Nov – 30th Nov
- During November you will have a 121 with a teacher from each subject/unit
- Your Reflections will be discussed and a summary agreed and recorded on Insight
- Actions are an important part of the November Reviews
Message from College Chaplain
- Tuesday 5th November in Seminar room of LRC. 1 - 2 pm.
- Open invitation to all.
- You are very welcome to come along to a brief talk / discussion entitled – “The problem of pain?”
- In this week running up to Remembrance Day it is important to reflect on the problem of pain and suffering in this world.
- Can faith lead a way through to finding answers?
- Led by Hadley, Chaplain
- A Remembrance Service will be held and a two minutes silence observed on the College Green on Monday 11th November
- Staff and students who want to attend are to be in place by 10.55am
- Poppies are on sale around College at Reception, the LRC and the Student Hub
Children in Need
- Friday 15th Nov
- Help the SU raise money for Children in Need by dressing up on 15th November in spots and/or stripes!
- 'Many other activities will happen during the day so join in the fundraising and bring plenty of cash for the collection tins.'
Professor Robert Winston Visit
- On 28th November Professor Robert Winston will be visiting College to open The Sonardyne Centre. While he is here he will be running a session for students in The Berkoff Theatre from 1.00pm – 1.45pm. He has not given us an exact title for his presentation, but as a leading scientist, ambassador of STEM education and a highly successful TV presenter it is bound to be extremely interesting and entertaining. He is currently calling it “Work in Progress”!!
- If you wish to attend the presentation please register via the moodle post in Student News. We expect this event to be very popular and there are only 100 spaces available. If we are oversubscribed, all students who have registered will be entered into a ballot to select the lucky 100. You must complete the registration on Moodle by Friday 8th November.
- This presentation is open to all students. If you usually attend PLD at this time or have a class, please ensure you ask permission to miss this session from your Tutor/Teacher.
- Prof Winston is a Scientist, Medical Doctor, TV presenter and member of the House of Lords. He is best known for his TV programmes including Superhuman, The Secret Life of Twins, Child of Our Time, Human Instinct, and the BAFTA award-winner The Human Body. More details about his career can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Winston
- 10 day trip to Beijing, Suzhou, Xinghua and Shanghai
- Friday 14th February – Sunday 23rd February 2014
- £1450 per person
- Includes: return flights to China and internal flights, Chinese visa, all transfers and travel, full board accommodation, visits to major tourist attractions and entrance fees, local English speaking guide, insurance, activities with Alton College partner school in Xinghua and opportunities to enhance cultural understanding with Chinese students and families.
- To register an interest or for further details, please email email@example.com .
- A non-refundable deposit of £300 will be required by 11th November 2013.
Ski Trip 2014
- There are still 4 places for the Ski Trip
- Buy a place through the online store (link .... http://store.altoncollege.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=28 )
Careers in Speech & Language Therapy
- The Royal County Hospital in Winchester are holding a careers morning on ‘Speech and Language Therapy’
- On 2nd Dec between 9.30am-12.30pm
- Contact 01962 825304 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception – Pill & Condoms & Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504–505 Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
For First Years:
Exam Access Arrangements
- If you qualified for access arrangements such as extra time for your GCSE exams, you will need an update assessment at college in order for these arrangements to continue.
- Please call in to room 61 or room 62 in the Foulkes Building to book an assessment with Lizzy or Judy. The best time to call in is during one of your free periods.
UCAS e-card Scheme
- Join the free UCAS e-card scheme
- Gives exclusive deals from some of the UK’s best known brands
- Receive information, advice and guidance from UCAS and selected partners – helping you navigate your next steps as you make important decisions about the future
- To sign up visit: www.ucas.com/ucascard
Physics Work Experience Scheme
- The Physics Department at Imperial College London will be running an Insights Work Experience scheme in July 2014 for Year 12 students with a keen interest in Physics.
- Applications are now open until January 15th 2014.
- For further information and to download the application form, please go to: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/physics/about/outreach/workexperience
For Second Years:
Student Financial Support Evening for Parents
- Thursday 21st November
- Martin Read Hall
- @ 7pm
- Information evening on Student Finance for parents of students entering Higher Education in 2014
- Places to be booked through the online store (free of charge)
Creative Competition with Falmouth University
- Win & Save £9,000 towards your student fees on the BA(Hons) Creative Advertising course at Falmouth University
- Create an A3 advertising poster or a 10-30 second TV commercial to ‘Persuade people to apply to be an RNLI volunteer’
- For further info download a competition pack at www.falmouth.ac.uk/advertisingcompetition
- Deadline for entries: 1st December 2013
- The College deadline for ALL applications is Monday 25th November
- All applications must be checked and signed off at a UCAS clinic by this date, along with a completed and signed ‘UCAS checklist’
- PLEASE don’t leave it until the 25th November to attend a UCAS clinic – sign up for a slot at the Student Hub
- The UCAS checklist can be found in the yellow ‘Completing your UCAS Application’ booklet. If you have mislaid your booklet, this can be downloaded from Moodle, as well as the ‘UCAS Checklist’ which can be printed from Moodle / Student Resources / Higher Education
Personal Statement Advice
- Need help/advice with your Personal statement?
- Slots available up to and including Friday 22nd November – sign up at the Student Hub
- Remember - your Tutor will check and sign off your final version of your Personal Statement
- What's related: