College Notices - w/c 6th January 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
Simply Go Bus Service – Wed 29th January
- During the Assessment Period, the afternoon bus service on Wed 29th Jan will be operating at the same times that the afternoon service operates during the rest of the week
- i.e. Buses will be departing at 3:10pm and 4:45pm
- Please make a note of this in your Student Planner
East Hampshire Citizens Advice Bureau Recruitment Morning
- Are you interested in volunteering in your local CAB? The CAB are recruiting volunteers for a range of roles in their Alton, Bordon and Petersfield offices.
- If you would like to find out more then please sign up for the recruitment morning on.....
- Friday 31st January 2014
- 10.00am – 12.00
- East Hampshire CAB Petersfield Office
- Heath Road, Petersfield
- For more information or to reserve a place email Gill Ormond via firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Year, New You! If you’ve ever thought about volunteering the New Year is a perfect time to start. Come and see me, Tuesdays 10.30am to 2pm in the Student Hub to find out more.
- Helen Freeston
Spring Bus and Train Tickets
- If you have ordered Bus or Train tickets for this term, please collect as soon as possible from Reception at the front of College
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception – Pill & Condoms & Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504–505 Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
It’s your shout!
- Please answer just two questions about Alton College for the chance to win a coffee voucher. The survey is on Moodle, is called ‘It’s your shout’ and won’t take more than a few minutes to complete.
- Thank you
For Students on a 1 year Course:
- What do you want to do after your course?
- On Thursday there will be a central presentation to explain your options and help you with your action plan
- 1pm in the Martin Read Hall
For First Years:
University Taster Course Programme
- Free taster courses at numerous universities in London
- Available to students in Year 12
- Courses range from voice and drama, to medicine and nursing, to computing and business.
- Apply online from 11am on Thu 9th Jan through to 11am on Wed 15th Jan via www.london.ac.uk/tasters
FE2HE – Health Professions Easter Residential
- 4 day Easter residential run by the University of Southampton on health related subjects
- Wed 2nd April – Sat 5th April 2014
- Costs will be met by the University.
- In order to apply you must meet at least 3 of the following criteria: a) first in family to pursue HE (not including siblings); b) attended a secondary school achieving less than the national average of 5 A-C GCSE passes in 2013; c) living or grew up in public care; d) in receipt of 16-19 Bursary or similar grant; e) studies affected by circumstances in personal, social or domestic life.
- Further info and application forms at the Student Hub
- Application deadline: 31st January 2014
Access to Southampton Scheme 2015 entry
- Thinking about studying at Southampton Uni?
- The Access to Southampton scheme (A2S) provides financial support and special consideration to applicants who meet at least 2 of the following eligibility criteria: a) first in family to pursue HE (not including siblings); b) attended a secondary school achieving less than the national average of 5 A-C GCSE passes in 2013; c) living or grew up in public care; d) in receipt of 16-19 Bursary or similar grant; e) studies affected by circumstances in personal, social or domestic life.
- Successful applicants receive an alternative offer which is normally up to 2 grades lower than the standard offer as well as a £1000 bursary in their first year of study
- For further information and how to apply go to www.southampton.ac.uk/a2s Deadline: 23May2014
Exam Access Arrangements
- For those who have not yet made an appointment………
- If you qualified for access arrangements such as extra time for your GCSE exams, you will need an update assessment at college in order for these arrangements to continue.
- Please call in to room 61 or room 62 in the Foulkes Building to book an assessment with Lizzy or Judy. The best time to call in is during one of your free periods.
For Second Years:
- Once your application has been sent to UCAS, log on and check UCAS Track regularly for offers, invitations for interviews, auditions, additional essays or tests
- Make sure you reply to any invitations promptly – don’t miss out on an offer because you didn’t log on to Track
- Universities and Colleges can take different lengths of time to make a decision
- Some of you will have received 1 or more offers, others may not have heard anything – don’t worry, this is perfectly normal
- When you receive all of your offers you will need to choose your ‘Firm’ (first choice) and ‘Insurance’ (back up choice)
- DON’T rush into deciding on your choices
- You will need to respond by your ‘reply date’ which will be displayed in Track. This is based on when the last decision is received for your choices so may differ to other people:
- Last Decision by: 31Mar14 /Your Reply Date: 07May14
- Last Decision by: 08May13 /Your Reply Date: 05Jun14
- Further information and advice to follow
- What's related: