College Notices: w/c 7th October 2013
by Kim Small.
Join the Alton College Rocket Scientists 2014
- Knowledge is all about asking questions.
- Questions asked in previous years
- ‘What is happening to the crab nebula?’
- ‘Is climate change man made?’.
- Anyone can be a Rocket Scientist – you just need to be curious
- If you are interested in researching something outside your normal syllabus or maybe being involved in a current research project please look out for the posters and contact: Your resident scientist Dr. Penny Marriott via the college e-mail and come and have a chat. ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Come and join the Amnesty Team in the refectory on Friday 11th October
- Support Protect the Human Week!
- Every Tuesday & Thursday
- All abilities welcome!
- Please wear sporting gear ie: trainers and shorts/gym gear
- Basketball * Frisby * Freeplay * Table tennis * Badminton * Wheelchair basketball * Netball
- Debating Society is now on a Friday every week 12.40 to 1.40.
- Room 113
- If you had not registered before because of timings please feel free to come along
Sexual Health Clinic
- Free & confidential service
- Contraception – Pill & Condoms & Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Advice about other contraception methods
- Pregnancy testing
- Chlamydia Screening
- Every Friday from 12.15pm to 2.00pm
- Rooms 504–505 Student Hub – please use the Austen end entrance (orange door).
- University of Nottingham are holding its annual conferences in December in the following subjects: * Medicine * Veterinary Medicine * Chemistry * Dentistry * Physiotherapy *
- Excellent insights in to what these careers are and what studying for them will involve.
- Places go very quickly - if interested visit www.medlink-uk.net for Medicine or www.workshop-uk.net for all other subjects
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
- Interested in helping to run fun activities for children aged 4-13yrs?
- Job opportunities for holidays, after school and breakfast club teams in Hampshire & Surrey
- Excellent rates of pay
- Flexible working hours
- No prior training or experience is essential
- Visit www.koosakids.co.uk/workforus.aspx
- Wendy Cole, the new Volunteering Co-ordinator is in the Student Hub between 10.30am – 2pm every Tuesday
- Many volunteering opportunities available
- Do you already volunteer? Find out about how to get your volunteering accredited
Student Finance Tour
- ‘Think you can’t afford University, think again!’
- Presentation by the Student Finance Tour
- This Thursday (10th October) @ 1pm
- Martin Read Hall
- Presentation aimed at first year students but anyone welcome to attend
First Year Students
Alton College Monitoring and Review Cycle – Sep13 to Jul14
- The Monitoring and Review Cycle is the framework that helps us work with you to ensure you reach your potential.
- The next few slides outline the process, more detail will be given at each stage during the year….
The Cycle: 1
- 30/09 – 04/10: Insight Update Period
- Your teachers will have updated your Insight page with a grade for Commitment and a grade for Attainment against target
- 1 – no concerns
- 2 – some improvement needed
- 3 – high level concerns
- If you have anything other than 1s you must work with your Tutor on Actions to improve.
The Cycle: 2
- 21/10 – 01/11: Student Reflection Period
- During this time you assess how you are doing on each of your current courses/units and what more you need to do.
- You will have specific questions to answer for your subjects, and support from your teachers to help you do this effectively.
- The emphasis is on TARGET GRADES
The Cycle: 3
- November Reviews
- During November you will have a 121 with a teacher from each subject/unit
- Your Reflections will be discussed and a summary agreed and recorded on Insight
- Actions are an important part of the November Reviews
The Cycle: 4
- 5th / 10th December Parents’ Evenings
- Your parents will have read your Reviews on Insight
- They may choose the teachers that they wish to see
- Booking is through an on-line system
- Teachers may contact home to request appointments
The Cycle: Summary
- The Monitoring and Review Cycle is all about YOU and helping you to achieve your potential
- You should review your progress and set actions throughout the year; your Tutor will work with you on this
- The 2nd Cycle starts with the Insight Update Period 7 – 15 February, following the January Assessment Period
- All dates are in your College Diary, and notices will remind you throughout the year
Second Year Students
Winchester University – Compact Scheme
- The University of Winchester offers a ‘Compact Agreement’ for some Alton College students. As a compact applicant you are guaranteed an offer of a place or for courses that require an interview, students will be guaranteed an interview.
- There are two requirements which must be fulfilled in order to apply for the compact scheme:
- Meet the specific course entry requirements
- Meet one from a list of special circumstances such as ‘being the first member of the family to study at university’ or ‘being in receipt of the College bursary’, etc
- Why not come along to the Martin Read Hall at 1pm on Tuesday 8th October to find out more about the scheme. A representative from the University of Winchester will be here to talk about the requirements and answer your questions.
UCAS Clinics – Places available
- Slots available at UCAS clinics up to Half Term
- Please don’t leave it until the College deadlines to visit a UCAS clinic
- If you aren’t ready to complete the whole application, come along and get some or all of the following sections completed and signed off:
- * Personal Details * Additional Information
- * Student Finance * Education * Employment
- Slots also available for Personal Statement checks
- Please sign up at the Student Hub.
- Please follow the instructions on the UCAS checklist (located in the centre of the yellow booklet)
- Friday 25th Oct: Advisory College deadline
- Monday 25th Nov: FINAL College deadline
- When you submit a completed application & UCAS checklist, the College has up to 15 term days to process your application/reference and send it off to UCAS.
- Completing your application online does not submit your application. YOU MUST visit a UCAS clinic with a completed UCAS checklist to finalise your application.
- What's related: