College Notices: w/c 8th December 2014
by Kim Small.
For All Students
- Are you up to date with Directed Study for all of your subjects?
Important Exam Information
- National guidelines and regulations for separate rooming in exams have changed.
- If you have had smaller or separate rooming either at College or at your previous school, please contact our Exams Officer, Frances Standen, by email Frances.Standen@altoncollege.ac.uk
- It is essential that you do this before the Christmas break.
- Full information is on Parents Pages of the website – Exams Information, Access Arrangements.
Summer 2015 exam re-sits
- If you want to re-sit exams in the summer you need to make your applications via the on-line store
- We strongly recommend making applications before the Christmas break
- The FINAL DEADLINE is Tuesday 10th February and we WILL NOT be able to accept applications after this date.
- When you apply please check that you receive your on-line store receipt to confirm that your purchase has been successfully processed.
- If you are having any problems making your application then come to the Student Hub for help.
Parent Consultation Evening
- Thursday 11th December
- The objective of these evenings is to allow an opportunity for parents to talk with teachers where there is some area of concern regarding their son or daughter’s progress
- Should you require an appointment at one of the Consultation Evenings, having checked your son/daughter’s progress on Insight, please follow the link on your son/daughter’s Insight page to our online booking system.
Lunchtime Christmas Service
- Wednesday 10th @ 1-1.45 pm
- in the Conference room at the front of college.
- All welcome to come and share in a time of reflection and quiet as we come to the end of term
- Communion will be offered to all those who would like to share in this celebratory meal as a college community
- I look forward to seeing you there,
- Hadley - College Chaplain.
‘A Night at the Movies’
- An extravaganza of song and dance inspired by the soundtracks of well known films. Do you love to boogie like Billy Elliot, fancy partying on board the Titanic or singing along to songs from Disney? If the answer is yes, then this is the show for you.
- Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th December at 7.30pm. Tickets are £4.50/5.50 and are available from the Wessex Arts website: http://tickets.wessexarts.co.uk/Sales/Whats-On/Alton-College-Performances
Alton College Student Union Presents.. Festive Thursday
- Thursday 18th December
- Wear your Christmas Jumpers
- Live Music in the Martin Read Hall
- Candy Floss, Donuts and Chocolate Fountain in the Refectory
- Tombola in the Refectory
- Release of Alton College’s Band Aid Video
- Events start start at 12.30pm until 2.00pm on the day!
- Fundraising for ‘Hand in Hand for Syria’
Bands for Syria
- 18th December 2014 – 1pm to 2pm
- Martin Read Hall
- As part of the Festive Firsday event, some of our talented college musicians are joining with the Student’s Union to host a festive party in the Martin Read Hall. Much dance. Very Music. Wow!
- Featuring: Northbound Trio * The Ollie West Band * We Found a Fire * The Ed Allen Trio * Twelve to Six * Beyond the City * and more!
- FREE entry
- Whilst the whole event is free, all money raised from SU food sales and your kind donations will go to the charity ‘Hand in hand for Syria’
Check your details on Insight
- Please check your Personal Details on Insight – are your address and phone numbers correct?
- If anything needs changing please collect and complete a ‘change of contact details’ form from the Student Hub
Alumni Survey: Where are you now?
- Our annual survey which we send out after you’ve left us, so we can find out what great things you’ve gone on to do, enjoyed a good response
- This year we offered £50 Jack Wills vouchers as a prize for those who completed the short survey
- Louise Blackhurst was the lucky winner drawn at random.
End of Term
- Friday 19th December
- Lessons finish at 12.40pm
- Start of Term:
- First day of teaching: Tuesday 6th Jan 2015 @ 8.50am
- Revision material is available on Moodle under Student Resources / Learning Support
- Please make use of the time over the holidays to revise – don’t leave it to the last minute!
- Assessment week: Monday 26th to Friday 30th January 2015
For First Years:
Considering a Healthcare related career?
- The University of Southampton are running a 4day/3night residential for Year 12 students
- Monday 30th March – Thursday 2nd April 2015
- Taster sessions include: Audiology, Healthcare Science, Healthcare Management, Medicine, Nursing & Midwifery, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Podiatry (subject to change)
- All costs will be met by the university (including travel costs up to £50)
- To apply you must meet at least three of the following criteria:
- First in immediate family to apply to HE (excluding siblings)
- Living or grew up in public care
- In receipt of 16-19 bursary or similar
- Attended a school which achieved less than the national average of 5 A* to C passes at GCSE in 2014
- Studies disrupted by circumstances in personal social or domestic life
- Been involved in any other outreach activity at any other university
- Please see Kim Small in the Hub for an application form
For Second Years:
University – Next Steps
- In February we will be holding a presentation for all students who have submitted UCAS applications
- This will include information on:
- Choosing your Firm and Insurance choices
- UCAS Extra
- Confirmation, Clearing and Adjustment and more
- Look out for details in the New Year
- What's related: