College Notices: w/c 9th February 2015
by Kim Small.
For ALL students:
- Please note that access will be restricted on the pathway between Beacon Science and Foulkes buildings for essential roofing works this week (w/c 9th February). This includes the steps leading to and from the car park.
- Your patience and understanding is appreciated whilst these works are being undertaken
Student Reflection Period
- 16th - 27th February
- Complete your ‘Student Reflections’ on the tab on your Insight page
- This is your self-assessment of how you are doing in each of your subjects and is to help you meet identify your own actions that will help you meet your target grades
Women’s Touch Rugby
- Looking for a fun way to keep fit and active?
- Touch Rugby is a great way to do this
- It is rugby without the contact and an emphasis on running, speed, agility and skills
- Do not worry if you have never played before – it is really easy to pick up!
- If you are interested then come along to an introductory session on Thursday 12th Feb at 1.15pm in the Sports Hall
- Bring indoor trainers and suitable sports clothing
Alton College Students’ Union Election Day
- Friday 13th February
- Vote online on the day from 8am to 3.30pm and use Moodle / Student Resources / SU page to find the candidates for each role
- Meet the candidates on Election Day at the Hustings in the Martin Read Hall at 1pm
- It’s YOUR Student Union
Army Careers Service
- Representatives from the Army Careers Service will be in College on:
- Tuesday 24th February
- From 12-2pm in the Refectory
- No need to book an appointment – just turn up between the above times to discuss opportunities available for a career in the Army
Are you going on to study Medicine or Nursing?
- Are you aged 17 + years?
- Holy Cross Hospital in Haslemere provides lifetime care for people with severe neuro-disability and are looking for volunteers to help with a varied programme of social activities
- Volunteers are needed for slots between 9am – 5pm on a week day or during the holidays
- If you would like to find out more contact Janet Duggan (Volunteer Co-ordinator) at The Student Hub on a Tuesday between 1030 – 1400 or email: email@example.com
- FINAL NOTICE for your Lions Club Award Forms
Make sure you are registered to VOTE in the General Election
- If you are 17+ you must register to vote in order to have the option to take part in future elections
- You will need your NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER (NI#)
- Put your NI# on your mobile phone this week
- You also need your home POSTCODE
- We will be running registration sessions in the LRC over coming weeks
Half Term Holidays
- Lessons finish at 4.30pm on Friday 13th February for the Half Term break
- Lessons start again at 8.50am on Monday 23rd February
For Students on a 1 year course:
- Completed Progression Forms MUST be returned to the Student Hub by Friday 13th February
For Students on the first year of a 2 year course:
‘After Alton’ Presentations
- Compulsory presentations providing information to students on options available after studying at Alton in the Martin Read Hall on:
- ‘N’ Directorate – Thu 12th Feb @ 12.40pm
- All students must attend with their tutors
- If you are in an ‘A’ or ‘F’ group and were unable to attend last week – please attend this meeting.
Surrey UCAS Convention
- Monday 16th & Tuesday 17th March
- 200 places available on each day - if you wish to travel with a friend please make sure you book on the same coach/day as you will not be able to change - places go quickly!
- Over 100 uni's present to give info, advice and guidance on your future plans.
- This is a really excellent opportunity to kick start your uni research.
- Book your place NOW via the online store (search UCAS Convention) - £5 – please pay by card online and not with cash/cheque at the Hub as a questionnaire needs to be completed by parents via the online booking.
Oxford & Cambridge 2016 Entry
- Thursday 26th February
- @ 1pm - Martin Read Hall
- Meeting for FIRST YEAR STUDENTS interested in applying to Oxford or Cambridge for entry in 2016. This talk will be presented by staff from the University of Oxford.
- Due to limited seating, places must be booked through the online store – click here
- Information about:
- The application process
- What Oxbridge are looking for in a student
- What you can expect from life at Oxford or Cambridge
- plus more
Higher Education Information Evening for Parents
- If your parents missed the Higher Education Information Evening held on the 5th February, all the information is available on the College website
- Link: http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/node/2446
University of Sussex First-Generation Summer Schools
- FREE Summer Schools
- 16-20th August
- Subjects: Biology / Law / Media with Journalism / Gender Studies
- 23-27th August
- Subjects: Chemistry / Politics / Physics / History
- In order to apply you must be:
- a year 12 student who will be under 18yrs of age in August
- first generation in your family to apply to go to university (i.e. no family history of university experience)
- The College is only permitted to send off 6 applications – if you meet the above criteria and would like to receive further information/apply, please see Kim Small in the Student Hub by the 20th March 2015 (first come first served basis)
University of Bath: 3-day Tasters
- The University of Bath are running 3-day Uni Tasters on the following days for Year 12 students:
- Mon 13th-Wed 15th July
- Wed 15th-Fri 17th July
- Includes: advice and guidance, workshops/lectures and more
- In order to apply you must have achieved A and B grades at GCSE including Maths and English, are on target to achieve A and B grades at AS level (or equivalent) and are likely to progress to a top university
- Cost: £170 which includes accommodation and meals
- To request an application pack, please contact Stephanie Gan at firstname.lastname@example.org
For Second year Students:
Student Finance for University
- Applications for Student Finance are now open www.gov.uk/studentfinance
- Don’t wait until you’ve accepted a place to apply for student finance – apply using your first choice of university – this can be changed later if need be
- Note: You need to apply for Student Finance in the year you are intending to start university, i.e. if you are starting in 2015 apply now. If you have applied for deferred entry to start in 2016 you will need to apply Feb’16
- Any questions regarding Student Finance? This week is Student Money Week – see www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentmoneyweek for details
- If you haven’t applied to university, please collect a Progression Form from your tutor
- Forms need to be completed and handed in at the Student Hub by Friday 13th February
- Completing these forms will enable us to help you with your plans
- What's related: