College Notices: w/c 9th June 2014
by Kim Small.
Important Information for Extended Project (EPQ) students
- Please note that the following meetings will act as your taught sessions for the next 3 weeks:-
- Fri 13th June - Martin Read Hall - 1pm - Barbara Frater meeting with EPQ students - showing you how to access the resources in the LRC eg academic journals, Gale's database etc.
- Tuesday 17th June - Martin Read Hall - 1pm - speaker from Southampton Uni meeting with EPQ students- to discuss how you can develop research skills that are valued by Universities.
- Weds 25th June (open evening day) - coach trip down to Southampton uni - research in Uni library and tour of campus. Optional - if interested you must sign up on the online store ASAP.
Dropping a course this Half Term?
- Deadline Friday 13th June
- We strongly encourage students to keep all four subjects to the end of term
- You must retain at least 3 courses/BTEC Extended Diploma
- Remaining courses should be C grade or above
- Request an APPLICATION form from the Student Hub and return by Friday 13th June
- (See Moodle announcement for details)
- Make sure you read your College emails regularly – don’t miss important information!
Students interested in the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Attend a Meeting on Monday 16th June at 12.50pm in Room 861 for information on the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- This course covers subjects such as Architecture, Fashion and Textiles, Fine Art, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Film, 3D, Animation and more.....
- Meet Foundation staff and current Foundation students
- And find out how to apply
Foundation Diploma & BTEC Extended Diploma in Art & Design Exhibition
- Private viewing Tuesday 17th June 6.30pm-9.00pm
- Open to the Public 18th to 24th June 2014 from 10am-4pm
- 3 Dimensional Design, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Fashion & Textiles, Photography and Film
BTEC Performing Arts at Alton College presents....
- Musical Through the Ages
- Come and join us as we transport you from the 1920s to 2011 in our musical production!
- Performed in the Wessex Arts Centre
- Wednesday 18th June @ 7.30pm
- Tickets £7.50 (£6 Concessions)
- www.wessexarts.co.uk Tel: 01420 592221
- Wessex Arts Centre, Alton College, Old Odiham Road, Alton, GU34 2LX
- Congratulations all those who have been nominated as Student Mentors/ Ambassadors.
(I still have a few Tutors who haven’t given me any names so do check with your Tutor if you are unsure)
- Training sessions will be:
- Tuesdays 17th & 24th June, 1st July, 12.45-1.30pm – DLC
- I will contact you via Moodle notices so please remember to check your College emails
- Dates for your diaries:
- New Student Welcome Event on Thursday 10th July
- & Taster Day on Friday 4th July
- & Induction Day Friday 5th September
- Jan - Welfare Mg, Student Hub
College Open Evening
- Wednesday 25th June
- 3.30pm to 8.00pm
- Lessons will finish at 12.40pm
- Simply Go Buses have been rearranged and the last service for all buses departing College on the 25th June will be at 1.05pm
- Thursday 3rd July – 11.25am to 3.00pm
- Timetabled lessons will be replaced by a programme for all including:
- Presentations by Whatuni, visits to the Fair, sessions on Finance & UCAS applications
- There will be over 80 exhibitors * Uni’s * Gap Year organisations * Employers * Apprenticeships * Volunteering *
- If you are 100% certain you don’t want to go to Uni we need to know as an alternative work based programme will be taking place – Tutor please email names to Kim Small by 20th June
Alton College – The Alternative Magazine
- Issue 3 of ‘The Alternative’ is out now
- Available at www.altonalternative.co.uk
- and around College
For all students with lockers
- ALL locker keys must be returned to the Student Hub by Friday 4th July for a £10 cash refund. Locker keys cannot be kept and used for the next academic year
- You must clear your locker as they are emptied and cleaned over the holidays. No responsibility will be taken for any items left behind
- Lockers for 2014-15 will be issued during September
- Gay- Straight Alliance
- Every Friday - Room 67 - 12.40 – 1.30
- Find support
- Be Support
- Be Yourself
- You don’t have to be gay to come along – you DO have to be anti homophobia and discrimination!
Maths at University
- Dr Calvin Smith, from Reading University's Maths Department, will be doing a fun Maths activity that will give you an idea of the sort of
thing you might learn in a Maths degree
- There will also be time for any questions about Maths at university – at Reading or other universities
- Tuesday 17th June, 12.45 to 1.30pm, room 119.
- Please let Dave Lynch know if you're interested in attending as we need to have an idea of numbers email@example.com
University Open Days
- See posters on the Red Route
- & visit www.ucas.com/open-days searching by university name
- Parents/guardians to phone absence line in advance to authorise absence due to university open day visits
- What's related: