"Composing is not a special branch of knowledge to be taught to the gifted or those interested enough, it is the logical outgrowth of a healthy and stable system of education."
In A/AS Music, composition is taught through analysis and imitation. AS topics include minimalism and blues.
A/AS Music Technology
In the first year of Music Technology, no actual composing is undertaken, however the skill of arranging is learned. In the second year, students further develop techniques in arranging and also in transcription (sequenced backings) and also undertake work in perhaps the most exciting part of the course, composing using technology.
Sequencing, recording and producing:
Composing using technology:
Hindemith's credo is one of the central pillars of the Music Department, upheld by staff who make arrangements, transcriptions and write original compositions for many of the College ensembles, as well as for professional performers.
- Symphonic Jazz Band - A Love Supreme arranged by Phil Singleton
- New Music Ensemble - A State of Disharmony composed by Martin Read
- Folk Band - Have you been to Carrick etc. arranged by Pam Edwards
- Folk Band - Siuil Aghra arranged by Pam Edwards
- Symphonic Jazz Band - Squeaking and Honking composed by Martin Read
- Jazz Band - Manteca arranged Phil Singleton
- Choral Society - Bring me a mourning scarf/The Death of Colonel Boles composed by Martin Read
- Choral Society - The Battle of Alton/The Death of Colonel Boles composed by Martin Read