Level 2 Cambridge Technical Diploma in Sport
What is the Level 2 Cambridge Technical Diploma in Sport?
This is a one year full-time course which is vocational and therefore work-related. It introduces you to the employment area of Sport, Leisure and Recreation and provides a good basis to progress to further training, education or employment. This is the course for you if you…
- have an interest in sport, linking both theoretical and practical elements, and the broader aspects of sport and leisure
- want to develop an understanding of the body’s physiological systems, and how they are influenced by exercise and training
- want to learn about sports injuries in sporting situations
- want to develop your own practical skills and techniques in structured sessions
- want to be able to plan and carry out a fitness training programme
- want to look at the different roles and processes involved when running a sports event
- have an interest in the psychological and lifestyle factors that affect performers
- would like to develop your IT skills through assignments and class work
Is a Level 2 Cambridge Technical Diploma in Sport suitable for me?
Many of the students find the vocational nature of the course both stimulating and purposeful, providing a real insight into the sport and leisure industry. The five day work experience ties in well with many aspects of the course reinforcing the links between the aims of the course and future employment.
The manner in which the course is assessed also attracts students to it. Many students prefer coursework to examinations, allowing them to achieve good grades and develop their confidence and self-esteem. All eight units are assessed internally.
How will I learn?
You will study eight units during the year, some of which will be classroom based and others will take place in either the Sports Hall or Fitness Room. You will enjoy a variety of assignments and challenges. You will find yourself working with others, applying key skills and improving on both your own knowledge and performance throughout all the units of the course.
While there is much theoretical knowledge to be acquired in some units, many have a vocational application so you will not spend all your time in the classroom. You will have opportunities to improve on your own practical performance, learn to officiate and take responsibility for leading activities.
Assignments will be set and you must be well-organised to ensure that the deadlines are met. You will be expected to do work outside of lessons; reading and researching for your assignments, so managing your time will be important.
How will I be assessed?
The course is made up of eight units:
- Practical Sport
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sport
- Fitness testing and training
- Development of Personal Fitness
- Effects of Exercise on the Body Systems
- Injury in Sport
- Planning and Leading Sports Activities
- Psychology for Sports Performance
All internal units will be assessed and graded by your teachers. At the end of the course points gained will combine to form an overall grade. You can achieve a Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*.
A CTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma prepares you for either progression (with a Merit or Distinction) to an Advanced course such as the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport, an AS/A2 Level programme of study, further training (gym instructor/sports coaching) or employment (e.g. in sports and leisure centres).
You would normally have achieved a Grade D profile at GCSE. For GCSE English and Maths where a new grading system has been introduced, a Grade 3 is equivalent to a Grade D. To study this subject you should have an interest in Sport.
All students will be expected to provide their own folders, dividers, plastic wallets, pens, paper, textbooks, stationery, and calculators (where appropriate). You will be expected to provide suitable sportswear for the practical sessions.
Essential: There is no recommended textbook, however there will be some additional costs for course materials at £5.00.
If the costs of equipment, materials and trips may cause you financial hardship, you may wish to read through details of our financial support scheme on our website.